1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD: 1983 Ibanez Roadstar II RB924

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nealpolitan, Aug 31, 2011.

1. nealpolitan

nealpolitan Supporting Member

I was in my small local shop today and sat down to try out one of those mini Ampeg 2x10 stacks. I'd never tried one.

This shop usually has a nice selection of new stuff but very few used pieces.

I grabbed the closest bass, a Classic Vibe Squier P-bass and start noodling around. As I noodle, I realize I'm looking right at a vintage 80s Ibanez Roadstar II deluxe. I grab it and flip it over and sure enough, it's an '83 MIJ RB924. It has the stock Ibanez Super J6 humbucker in the bridge (with the trisound switch which switches between single, humbucking and parallel functions) and Super P5S P-bass pickup in the "neck" position (really just the normal P-bass position). The knobs are a blend knob (which is a double stacked pot), a master volume, and a master tone.

I plugged it in and Wow. It's a very nice bass and sounds great. I love these pickups, which is good since I imagine it might be hard to find something to fit in the odd rout.

I split time pretty evenly between guitar and bass, and 70s MIJ Ibanez guitars have become my number one and number two guitars (I have an '78 Artist and a '78 Performer). On bass, I've always played USA Peaveys. I currently have two 90s USA Furys that have been my go to basses for a while now. I'd always kept an eye out for the old Ibanez MIJ basses but they always seem to go for sky high prices. I got this one for a pretty good price, about what the only one that has sold on ebay recently went for, with a nice Fender gig bag.

It has one gouge in the finish where some goober obviously tried to adjust the truss rod with the wrong tool or while the neck was still on. Other than that, it's in great shape and the action has been set up very nicely. It's very light (lighter than my Furys certainly) and so compact it almost seems like it should be short scale. I think this has a lot to do with the smaller headstock.

Got to play it for an hour or so and can't wait to see how it fits in the band mix but so far, it sounds great. Honestly, I can't hear what difference the tri-sound switch is making but really, it all sounds good. You can dial in a sweet growl and a nice thump and all points in between. I'm not much of a knob fiddler/pick-up switcher while I'm playing so I like the idea of the blend knob. This is my first bass with one.

Here's the Ibanez catalog entry for this model.

There's not a lot out there on these (there's a few threads here, but it never hurts to have another).:bassist:

And since if there's no pics, it didn't happen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. TunaMloohnah

TunaMloohnah

Beautiful...
  3. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I have wanted one of those so bad , i got outbid on one on ebay last week.

Sweet score
  4. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time. Supporting Member

I love old Ibbys. Funny thing is, when old Ibbys were new Ibbys, I didn't like them much. Funny how you grow out of that brand-envy thing. Very nice bass you got yourself. In good health...

I picked up a very nice '82 TR271 about a year or so ago. It was a little rough, but I TLC'd it a bit and played the 30" short-scale for awhile before deciding that I was really a 34" scale guy.
  5. Josh Pelican

Josh Pelican

I was really hoping this was Laz's when I saw the title, but it's not.

Nevertheless, congratulations! I really want one because of him (and now you).
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    dibs if you EVER sell it!

I have been in love with that bass since it was on the catalog cover that year.
  7. nealpolitan

nealpolitan Supporting Member

Was it this one?:

MARK EGAN 1980s IBANEZ ROADSTAR II RB924CS BASS GUITAR | eBay

If I'm not mistaken, that's also an 83 and it has the truss rod at top of the neck whereas mine has it at the bottom. That's odd.
  8. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

yep that one
  9. flat_twin

flat_twin

Hello Everyone! First post here and very happy to hear the RB924CS is still a well regarded instrument. Mine is exactly like the one in this thread with the truss rod adjustment at the bottom. It's a 1983 model that I played in a bar band for several years during the 80's and 90's. It went into closet hibernation for several years when I left the band for acoustic pursuits. Just last month I was asked to play bass with a local band so the old Ibanez is being put into service once again.
    The D string tuner that's been binding up lately finally broke. I'd love to find an identical "Velvatune" factory tuner but may have to settle for something that looks right and has an 18mm post hole. Also, the pickup blend pot is getting loose. It works fine but I'd like to snug it up. Do the knobs simply pull off? I don't want to force or break anything and I don't see a set screw on the knob anywhere.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Mark
  10. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass A.K.A. Pimp Lucius Supporting Member

Nice score man - Congratulations!
  11. Luckie

Luckie

What shop did you visit?
  12. Root 5

Root 5

I have the identical bass. I bought mine brand new as NOS in 1986. I love it and will never sell it. The bass sounds really good. I've taken good care of it too so it's in great shape. I'll share some pix later.
  13. UnfortunateTony

UnfortunateTony

There are plenty of tuners out there that look similar, though I doubt you'll find an exact factory replacement.

You should be able to just pull the knob off and tighten the pot with a wrench.

Hope this helps :)
  14. flat_twin

flat_twin

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to coax the pickup knob off again. Still looking at Stew-Mac and other suppliers for bass tuners.
  15. Standalone

Standalone

Gorgeous. I'd love to see that finish in person. Better yet, play it!
  16. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Beautiful bass! Roadstars are probably some of the most underrated basses out there. Better built than alot of the crap out there today and impossible to kill. Play on!
  17. dudelove

dudelove

that is so sweet, so old as i am :D
  18. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've always admired those, nice grab!
  19. Staccato

Staccato Supporting Member

Congrats!

Talk about a bass that would 'fly' right off the used rack into a new owner's arms in a music store. :bassist:

How do those pickups sound? If not a sound clip, can you describe the output of each separate, and combined? :D
  20. darkstorm

darkstorm

Nice one. Congrats.