1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD 1983 Pre EB Stingray.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Aug 7, 2013.

1. armybass

armybass Supporting Member

Traded away my last modern Ric as I am trying to move towards older instruments in my bass collection. 1983 would in no way be listed as a banner year for Stingrays but this one is my favorite color combo and all original down to the case. It sounds articulate and crystal clear and is in phenomenal condition for a 30 year old bass.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1375879009.167209.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1375879043.069194.jpg
  2. Bass1965

Bass1965

Wow! That is a beautiful bass.
  3. Lo-E

Lo-E

Beautiful! Why would you knock '83 for a Ray? The company was in trouble at the time, but the basses, IME, were as fine as any they've made. You got yourself a great bass there - enjoy!
  4. ncapone

ncapone

5. armybass

Thanks. Not putting the bass down just know that was not there best era for production or quality control. But I have taken it apart and it all seems original and aside from needing a mild fret dressing she is a sweet player too.
  6. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

Why the move towards older basses?
  7. armybass

Nice avatar by the way....from a bass player born and raised on the Best Bank of the Mississippi.....

No really...

Because I am older now (43) and want to leave some cool basses to my bass playing son. And some of them are still reasonably affordable.... not sure if that will always be.
  8. bh2

bh2

That's in fantastic shape... looks almost new!

I cry when I see these... had to sell my 78 Ray... it was a beater but I loved it.
  9. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

Thank you.

I was just curious. That's a cool idea!
  10. gurensan

gurensan

I don't want a new one, either. I've wanted one of these string-thru Stingrays since I first messed with one 20 years ago. Never had the cash and these tend to be as rare as hen's teeth around me. Good catch!
  11. bassline52

bassline52

I have 84 Stingray same colour -same condition.
    The neck is simply awesome on it, it's more Fender P bass like than Jazz bass like.
  12. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Don't make excuses because your SR isn't from the '70's. I gigged a couple of early '80's SRs in the late '80's and they were and are still killer.

BTW, in the late '80's, pre-EB SRs were everywhere for $300-350. Aaaagggghhhh!!!! Should have kept all of mine!
  13. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

Awesome StingRay! All of those preEB's I really love. The one specific thing I especially love about the 81-83, is the necks; they're slimmer than the earlier ones, and a smoother finish.
  14. armybass

Yes indeed. I absolutely love the neck on this bass.
  15. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Actually '83 was a great year for the Stingray. Grover Jackson was building them at that time. Fit, finish, and playability was at an all time high. I wish I'd kept mine. :meh:
  16. Down_Low

Down_Low

Nice bass mate. 1983 is my birth year - I'd love to pick up a nice '83 Stingray one day.