1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD - 1983 Westone Thunder III

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff Elkins, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Previously frebassist Supporting Member

Picked this up yesterday on a trip to Nashville for the holidays--Merry Christmas to me!
    I've been looking to replace my Vantage VP710B ever since I sold it in a fit of "I'm not owned by my stuff." The kid that has it now got a good deal--and he was upgrading from a First Act--so I feel super great about that, but I sure miss that bass.
    Anyway, I posted a couple of ads around, but got no responses until a kind soul pointed out a Westone Thunder III on the Nashville Craigslist. I didn't even know Westone existed, much less that they were Matsumoku sisters to my beloved Vantages.
    All original except the strings and the pup selector on the upper horn.
    It'll take me some months to figure out what the switches and pots can do, even with the wiring schematic available online, but I'll sure have fun doing it. :bassist:
    Here it is:

Attached Files:

2. Jeff Elkins

A couple more:

Attached Files:

3. vdub75

vdub75

I kind of like it! looks cool!
  4. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Very nice.
    I'm also a victim of Vantage regret have owned and sold one I should have kept. I like the Westone body shape a bit better to be honest.
    Great score!
  5. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

nice bass. those old matsumoku basses are really cool. i had an '83 aria pro II sb elite-I. good tone and great neck, but the weight and lack of forearm contour got it traded.
  6. Jeff Elkins

Thanks! It sure is fun to play.
    It's deceptively heavy--because of the contours I expected it to be lighter than my Vantage was, but nope. :) Feels just like that set-neck bass did, though it hangs a little further to the left.
    Time for another padded strap purchase.
  7. wolfmancharlie

wolfmancharlie Supporting Member

You will Love the Westone Thunder. They are some of the best ever made,IMHO. My Thunder 1 was my main gigging bass for 10 years. Yes they are heavy but the tone was worth it. Always compliments after the show on the sound . Have fun with yours. A very nice example of how beautiful a bass can be. You can check out more Westone basses at the Electra Westone Club here on TB and the Westone Forum on the internet.
  8. groovelow

groovelow

I hope you enjoy it as many years as I did.
  9. RSmith

RSmith Supporting Member

I played one of these for about 5 years in the early 90's
    Never let me down!
  10. Jeff Elkins

I seriously have no doubt that I will!
    Thanks, man. Best money I've spent in several years.
  11. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

Thats a wicked bass.
  12. Bass Fund

Bass Fund

That's some serious rosewood on the neck.

Westone made some of the finest basses ever imo.
  13. TNcaveman

TNcaveman

I'm the "kind soul" that pointed this to Jeff. I saw his post looking for an "Alembic style Japanese bass" and I remember seeing the Westone. Your pics really make it look pretty sweet. It's amazing what you can find out in the country. Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

Steve