NBD - 1987 Gibson V bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EdwardofHuncote, Feb 12, 2014.

1. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote Supporting Member

Well... it was supposed to be today, but unless my FedEx guy has a snowmobile, it ain't happening. :(

2. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Sweet thread? :D

Bummer.

3. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

That sucks dude. My Birdsong was supposed to come today but the weather changed that as well. Looking forward to seeing pics of your bass when it does arrive.

4. EdwardofHuncote

FedEx tracking says delivery info N/A. NBD is going to be a while longer... hope my bass isn't sitting in a snowdrift. Not. Too. Good.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. EdwardofHuncote

Finally here! We got about 20" of snow here in Virginia over the past 3 days, so all the shipping is stacked up. Bless their hearts, FedEx came through. :thumbup:

The bass is in great condition, really close to mint, with only very light play wear, but poorly set up... in spite of that, the electonics all work flawlessly and the overall tonal posibilities are exactly what I was looking for. That said - I can totally see how this would not be a bass for everybody... in spite of it's general body style, this bass is the anti-Fender P.

Too tired to mess with it much tonight... I'll do some tweaking on the action, change the strings, and get some plug-n-play time in before a review.

Oh, and of course some pictures to follow!

Attached Files:

7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I like that, is it as heavy as it looks? I'd love to have a narrow spaced Gibson 5er but between funds and... well, just funds it's hard to swing atm.

8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Congrats I bet those pickups are killer.

9. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

They should be tb+ pickups, like the ones in current thunderbirds. Nice color. Is that Ember red (aka Fiesta in Fender terminology)? Can't forget to show that lovely pointy headstock!

10. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

11. EdwardofHuncote

@Webtroll - feels lighter than my Turner Electroline 535. Considerably thinner than a Fender body. I'll guesstimate less than 10 lbs. These are mahogany versus ash or alder fwiw. Also impressed with the balance. I'm not someone who's bothered by neck dive, but even if I was, that wouldn't be an issue with this bass.

@mjac28 - they are indeed! ;) Seriously, it really is what I was looking for, tonally... I love my old Kalamazoo bass with it's giant Gibson-made EB-0 MudBucker. This thing is like that, but on steroids.

I'll get some better pictures tomorrow... yes, at least a couple of the pointy headstock. (which looks remarkably like an Alembic headstock pattern.)

12. EdwardofHuncote

@ Sturm - it's so red, I need to grow a mullet! :p Correct though, Ferrari Red, w/black hardware. Doesn't go with a thing I have.

13. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Actually I prefer light basses, and neck dive can be addressed with straps and light weight tuners. Congrats on the bass!

14. EdwardofHuncote

Spent most of yesterday afternoon tweaking on the new/old bass. There's still a good foot of snow on the ground here in Virginia, so not much else to distract.

First, (using old strings) adjusted string height at the bridge, up a couple thousandths on the G, and down a couple on the E & B.

Went a quarter-turn tighter on the truss rod to take out a little bow. Pleasantly surprised that the rod worked smoothly... I don't think it had ever been adjusted, as it seemed in a slack/neutral position.

Next, filed all five nut slots down to really close clearance, probably too close for a heavy-handed player, but it's important to get the action as close as possible to my main instrument.

The intonation was dead-on perfect, no adjustment needed.

Lastly, I put on a set of lightly-used Thomastik-Infeld SuperAlloy 45-125's I'd had on another bass briefly.

There was very little detailing to do, as this 27 year-old bass is in fantastic condition. It has some very minor shirt button scratches on the back and some even lighter play wear to the front. Rubbed some lemon oil into the ebony fingerboard and buffed it with a rag. A little Pledge and elbow grease brought the Ferrari red finish to like-new luster. Playing wear is cool with me... I plan to put some more on it after all!

Finally... the really fun part! I spent a couple hours playing through a very simple 1x10 Yorkville combo practice amp, everything flat, no effects. First impressions are very favorable... it's got a nice growly tone, with tons of low-end punch. Nice quiet electronics too, no ground loop buzz or crackling in the pots. As I'd hoped, it has everything my old MudBucker'd Kalamazoo has, plus plenty of room to adjust tonality. The B string passes muster for me. I know that's often a hitch, even with realistic expectations, but I don't find it lacking at all... if anything the balance on this bass leans toward the low-end. It's absolutely nothing like my active five-strings, which is a good thing. I'm not quite 100% satisfied with my setup... darn close but not there yet. I'll let it "settle in" for a couple days before another tweak session.

Pictures as soon as I figure out the ever-puzzling TB mobile app format, that seems determined to rotate everything right. :what:

15. EdwardofHuncote

1987 Gibson V

Attached Files:

16. EdwardofHuncote

And by request, the pointy headstock!

Attached Files:

17. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

Looking good! I can imagine hearing it playing Rhianon and sounding fabulous. Thanks to your Avatar I checked out the Penguin album that's streaming on youtube. John McVie is no joke.

18. EdwardofHuncote

Thanks Sturm!

Yeah, Johnny-Mac is one of my heroes. A few of us had this thread going while he was in cancer treatment:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1025680

He's a very classy, private guy, and hasn't said much at all about the matter, but there are reliable accounts that he's making a full recovery, tracking a new album in March, followed by FM resuming touring in late summer 2014. (this time with Christine on board)

19. EdwardofHuncote

Just looked up the serial number for curiosity's sake... this bass was made the day after my birthday in 1987. Almost a very cool coincidence!

20. EdwardofHuncote

The bass has settled very nicely into a stable, comfortable setup. Very smooth, very fast action. This weekend is a trial run... the first time this bass has been gigged in about 20 years. Its cushy studio life is over - full band rehearsal is tomorrow evening, and then two sets upstate on Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks for the comments fellas!

21. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

Congrats! I owned an identical one (possibly the same one?) and traded it about 18 years ago. I have a picture of it somewhere. Mine had a bad bow in the neck. How's the action on this one?