NBD 1992 G&L L2000 Signature

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KablesP, Feb 4, 2014.

1. KablesP

KablesP

Found this sweet thing in the GC used section. It was in California (I am in PA) so I just had to go for it when I bought it. But, I knew that it was a high quality USA made instrument so for the price I paid (715 after shipping and taxes) I could not pass it up.

And when it showed up I was completely surprised at how new the bass looked. It looks like someone use it for a short amount of time and the cased it for some time. That, or someone just bought the bass to play around the house because this bass does not looked gigged at all. There are small surface scratches that come with an 20+ year old instrument.

The bass I used mostly before this was my Dad's 1987 Fender Jazz Bass Special. That neck is so small that almost any neck feels bigger than it. The L2000 has a 1.75 inch nut compared the 1.5 of the Fender and it is certainly noticeable but the playability of the G&L is far superior to the Fender, IMO. And the Fender is really a great bass.

This thing plays like butter and it's not even set up. The action could be a little lower but WOW am I impressed with this thing. To be honest, I have not played many higher end basses so I don't have much to compare it too, but the build quality of this is just amazing.

I couldn't really tell the exact color of it through the GC pics and I just thought it was a straight yellow finish. It was listed as Natural but I knew it wasn't a completely natural finish. The grain shows through a little bit and more in certain lighting but I much prefer this color to a normal natural finish. I also don't like sunburst or blue or most of the standard colors for these so I guess I lucked out.

The bass came with a nice (albeit somewhat beat up) G&L hardshell case which looks original to me. It actually looks extremely similar to the case that came with the Fender JBS.

First impressions:

Build Quality: 8.5/10
    Playability : 8.5/10
    Finish: 8/10
    Hardware: 8.5/10
    Tone: 9/10 (LOVE all of the options and theyre all usable)
    Overall Quality: 8.5/10 (It almost looks brand new)

The ONE thing that I do not like is that the string grooves in the nut are rather shallow and if I try to bend or use too much vibrato on the lower frets the A string and sometimes the E string pop out of the nut.

3 Bolt with serial BO23449 which according to G&L's site makes it a 1992. However, I read that after BBE bought them they changed the tuners to a brushed nickel finish from a shiny nickel finish. It also says Ver 1.0 on the preamp. Any info would be great!

I'll have some more pics up later but here's a few. The cool thing about this bass is that it looks different under different lighting. :bassist:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

WHOA!!! :eek:

I think you just won the lottery! A small lottery, of course, but a lottery, nonetheless!

Congratulations!
  3. ack

ack Supporting Member

Yikes!! That is just plain gorgeous.
  4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Gorgeous, gorgeous,gorgeous wow congrats that nut problem is a easy fix and I think I read somewhere that the ones with the Leo signature on the horn were worth more? maybe a G&L expert can chime in great score congrats and please Guitar Center keep hiring people that don't know what they have and price them very low.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Great price on a great bass! That's an unusual color. I see those signature models in cherryburst often, but I've never seen on in blonde before. The signature, though not Leo's actual signature, does make that bass slightly more collectable. Nice score.
  7. KablesP

KablesP

Thanks guys, it's torture sitting here at work. All I want to do it play!! :D

There are some amazing deals in the GC used section. The thing is, this bass sat for a LONG TIME at the Cerritos store because it was originally 780 and they lowered the price to 650. It has to sit pretty long for them to lower the price. I kind of get the feeling that most people didn't like the yellow finish. Their loss.

I didn't think the nut would be a big problem, but I hope filing it down a bit doesnt make the strings too low causing buzzing and ultimately resulting in needing a new nut. It only happens occasionally anyway but enough to be an annoyance, especially live.
  8. KablesP

KablesP

I figured it was an unusual (custom, perhaps?) color when I looked around the web and couldn't really find any Yellow/natural L2000s. I know the Signature models were only made for 2 years though which is pretty cool I was able to find one for this cheap.

Thanks GC!!
  9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

The more I think about it, I can't ever recall seeing a newer G&L in translucent blonde before. And with the signature, you know for a fact it's not a refin.

This is the exact kind of situation where you get good deals at GC. Fender, Gibson, Rickenbacker - forget about it. Always priced at the top of the market. But with brands like G&L, the employees don't understand what's what. So they just price something like this based on what other G&L's are selling for at GC to get it out the door.
  10. KablesP

KablesP

Yep. Keep a good eye out. Also, a little homework can go a long way. A couple weeks ago I had never even considered buying an L2k. I didn't even know it existed :ninja:

Every now and then I see some Ampeg tube heads from 650-1000 too on there. They also have some great deals on cabinets.

Thanks Talkbass! :bassist:
  11. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

That's one of the basses on my "dream list". You got it at a great price. Congrats!
  12. PluckyThump

PluckyThump Supporting Member

Nice score! That is the Blonde finish, never seen one that color with the signature on it. It probably is a '92 but if you really want to know you can take the neck off and check the date stamps. The Hipshot tuners aren't necessarily aftermarket; G&L has always used them when they run out of the G&L-stamped Schallers.
  13. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    That thing is hot and I cant believe the price you bought it for....a score indeed!! That blond(although not so much translucent) is kind of a vintage color...many old teles and original single coil 50's precisions were blond. That logo color in the G&L really accents the blond body and the signature of leo really makes that thing a keeper. I bet it sounds good too. Btw, I have a gnl m2000 and had to file the nut slots down to get the action where I like it so maybe they just come shallow as a factory setup.
  14. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

That finish is Butterscotch Blonde, it's one of G&L's Premier finishes. It's an upgrade that includes an ash body. The degree of translucence can vary.

It's been on their color menu for a long time. G&L also has a Blonde (trans-white) and Natural (clear) Premier finish as well.

Looks like you have a really nice patina happening there. Kinda cool to see a Butterscotch sig model.

Beautiful. Nice score!
  15. KablesP

KablesP

Thanks for the info! I had no idea this was a premier finish with an Ash body. What are the differences between the Ash bodies and the Alder bodies?
  16. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Excellent.
  17. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

As far as sound goes - nothing. Ash does tend to be heavier than alder, but ash is a much more attractive wood.
  18. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

Seriously I can't get over how nice this bass is.
  19. KablesP

KablesP

Sometimes I look at it more than I play it :D

I just can't get over how new this bass looks for being 22 years old.
  20. MattyH

MattyH

That is just lovely.

I could be wrong but it looks like the finish is yellowing and fading just slightly. Maybe it's just the pictures, but it reminds me of my 62 Jazz. I don't think theres anything prettier than mojo like that. It shows honest to goodness play time without it being torn to hell. Home run man.

One word to sum it up. Awesome.
  21. KablesP

KablesP

The pictures actually make it look like the finish is fading but it really doesn't look like that in person, I think the lighting/camera flash play a big role in that. For the most part it looks like a barely translucent butterscotch tele. Lovely!

I get the feeling that the previous owner did not play in bands or gig much.