NBD: 1992 Peavey Fury

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Five String, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Five String

Five String

After hearing about this instrument on TB and having wanted a P style bass for a while, I picked this up on CL about a month ago:

[​IMG]

According to the Wikipedia post on Peavey guitars, it's a 1992. Very nice shape, very few dings, almost no wear on the fretboard leading me to think it may have been refinished.

[​IMG]

I removed the mystery roundwounds and put on a set of RotoSound 77 flatwounds. I also put together a little upper horn extension based on this design at: http://www.spanglefish.com/BassBalancer/index.asp?pageid=509314 Here's mine:

[​IMG]

I really cannot stand when the neck won't stay up by itself and after spending a fair amount of time online, I did not like any of the other alternatives, straps, weights, etc. The Bass Balancer seemed the most interesting looking and effective device, so I copied it by bending and drilling a mailbox clamp.

The action is still a little stiff with the Rotosounds. Unfortunately I cannot adjust the truss rod because rather than the hex key nut it comes with, someone installed this nut:

[​IMG]

After several tries with sockets and wrenchs and trips to the hardware store, it appears I will have to get my hands on a 5/16 or7 mm wrench from StewMacAllpartsGuitarPartsResource or some place like that.

Also, I noticed after I bought the instrument that three of the four elephant ears on the tuning pegs were loose. The guy I bought the bass from, Jason, had soldered the G string peg, but the others were loose (Jason also re-did all the wiring before selling the bass to me - Thanks Jason!) I didn't like the rattling elephant ears and re-soldering the ears would involved an investment in time and tools I was not ready to make at this point. I also did not want to buy new tuning heads because it would detract from the pretty good price I paid - $125.

So, while I was fixing a kitchen sink leak with some moldable epoxy putty, I threw a little on each of the three loose elephant ears:

[​IMG]

Could look better, could look worse, when I get motivated again I'll get the file out and shape the epoxy a little better, but for now, it's not too obtrusive and the elephant ears are secure, at least for now. (Parents, don't let your bass-playing children with Fender style tuning heads transport their basses in soft cases - those big ears are just begging to be banged around and loosened)

As for playing the instrument, (rather than working on it) everything positive you have read about the feel and construction of the neck of this instrument on TB is true. My benchmark is my '77 Jazz (which, admittedly, is a more D shaped neck which I no longer like) and the Fury equals or exceeds it. Really narrow, really easy to play, except for the slightly stiff action. I have not played it enough with the band to speak confidently about the sound, but so far, so good.

If you want a really well made P style bass with a nice narrow fast neck, I am not sure you can do much better than this bass, certainly not at this price point.
  2. mech

mech

Peavey basses of that era came with a 5/16" brass nut on the truss rod just like yours has. The Gibson 5/16" truss rod tool normally works well.

I doubt the your bass has been refinished since Peavey finishes are very durable.

mech
  3. Five String

Five String

Thanks for the tip. That's the one I'll be ordering.
  4. Five String

Five String

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

Exactly the same as my very first bass, even down to the year. I may be able to track it down since I gave it to a friend. About a year ago I got an '80s Fury in white.