NBD - 2008 MIA Standard P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by goldenglory18, Feb 14, 2013.

1. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Your Mom.
    Not the best deal in the world, but it was good enough to jump on....

2008 MIA Standard Fender P
    Black with black guard and maple board
    $719

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This has to be one of the best necks I've ever felt and it is FLAWLESS. Smoooooooooooth finish and not a single buzz to be found, AND it still needs a set-up. :hyper:

A few issues I noticed right away:

The E tuner post is a little loose, but only when down tuning. Example, when tuned to E, it's fine. Drop it a few notes and it's noticeably loose. Oh well, there will probably be a hipshot on there eventually anyway.

The pickup is significantly more quiet than I remember stock MIA PU's being. Now, I was playing through settings that were catered to SPB3's so that could be the difference, but it was a BIG difference. Time to start searching for another SPB3....

The body is a little roughed up. Front looks fine, but the back has a lot of dings and scratches. Looks like plenty of light buckle rash but that doesn't bother me a bit. After it's dialed-in and set properly, this should be a GREAT gig bass.

Pics to come later...I was tired once I got home. :bag:
  2. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

Congrats! Sounds like you got a good price on a fine instrument. What's not to like?
  3. goldenglory18

Disclosures:
    Your Mom.
    So far, it just isn't doing it for me.

Tonally, it sounds pretty flat. Not a ton of punch like a P-bass should. It plays like a dream, but it's not very resonant and again, is very generic sounding.

I'll fiddle around with it for a few weeks. Worst case scenario, I take it back.
  4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I found this on pg.2 of the Basses thread...no pics probably.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

For the tuner, just tighten it up.

If you like everything about it but the sound, why not just swap the pickup.
  7. goldenglory18

Disclosures:
    Your Mom.
    I've been unexpectedly swamped the last few days. Pics today after work, I promise.

That's the next step (besides pictures.) Besides at the store, I think I've played MAYBE four measures on this thing.

That's step four on my list. (Pictures, tighten tuner, new strings, PU swap.)

I have a few homeless SPB3's laying around. If the new strings help at all, I might just throw a Duncan in there and see if she opens up. If new steel round-wounds don't help, she will probably go back.
  8. goldenglory18

Disclosures:
    Your Mom.
    I finally got a chance to play around with this for a bit, clean it up a little and snap some pics.

I put some Medium ProSteels on there and tightened all the tuner posts. It plays a lot better now and holds tune no matter how hard I play. I also threw in one of my spare .25lber PU's and it sounds MUCH better. Tons of growl and snap. THAT is the P bass tone I love.

One thing I will say...I have owned four MIA basses now and played dozens more. This is by far, the best built Fender I have ever played. Tightest neck pocket I've ever seen, flawless fret work, clean electronics route.....absolutely wonderful gem of a bass.

As of now...it's not getting returned. :D
  9. mcm

mcm

08 is the year
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I so want a black Precision with a black guard and maple neck! Nice score!
  11. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Phil Lynott, right?
  12. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Phil liked mirror pick guards IIRC.
  13. Im_telling_tim

Im_telling_tim

2008 was a great year for Fender Precisions I have two of them a 4 and a 5. When I went to go pick up my 5, I had a hard time choosing between the white with a rosewood fretboard or the black with maple fretboard I must have took an hour of going back and forth so I decided I was gonna go by the year and the white turned out being the one. As for my 4 string p bass it's my favorite bass I own I have ten basses (p's, jazzes, grabber and a wal) if I could only keep one it'd be my 2008 P.
  14. mazdah

mazdah

Great score man!
    And I think It may be newer than 2008...

It has additional A string retainer on the tunning key and as far as I know the first one was with 60th anniversary P.

Looks like it's either slightly modded - and MANY people were asking me where to buy that A string retainer (but I can't see any additional retainers on recent Fenders photos, apart from Deluxe series)...

Well, that little thing makes it a better instrument :)
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Roger Waters ;)
  16. davidjackson

davidjackson

I would wait until you have played it with a band before worrying about it sounding flat or less than perfect. For me, the magic of a P bass it what happens when you are in that situation. My P bass (MIJ Steve Harris signature) sounds pretty dead on its own but rocks when I'm with the band. My beautiful 2012 MIA Jazz is the exact opposite! Sounds gorgeous on its own, but...
  17. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Great bass I love the color and neck congrats.
  18. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

I have an 08 black and maple P as well, great bass. Congrats!
  19. Outsider

Outsider

Wow. Looks stunning!
    I have a black P, J and SR in my collection. The black pickguard on maple looks great!
  20. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

I have an '09 MIA P (oly white, RW board). And -- somewhat irrationally -- I've been thinking lately about getting '12 MIA P (probably black/maple and I'd put a gold PG on it). The 2008-and-beyond American Standard P's are fantastic. And quite the value if you wait for a good deal on a used one.
  21. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Have you tried raising or lowering the pickups? It can make ALL the difference. If your bass is sounding flat, give it a shot.

Also, you are correct. The 60th Ann P was the first to feature the "strong arm" string retainer. If Fender ever makes it available, it is going on ALL of my basses.

AFAIK, it hasn't been used on other models.