1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD: 2011 American Standard Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by derridiandrift, Nov 24, 2012.

1. derridiandrift

derridiandrift

I picked up a (barely) used 2011 American Standard Precision a few weeks back. I switched the pickup to a Fralin I had laying around, strung it up with Chromes, fine tuned the setup to my liking. I needed a workhorse since selling the 1978 P, and after doing only five gigs with this one, I think it's a keeper.

[​IMG]

2. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

Congrats! That's a sharp bass indeed!

3. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

In all the years that I've played, I cannot truthfully say that my set up skills are adequate enough to play my basses professionally. I would faint at the thought of a stripped truss rod, and the cost and down time associated with a foolish mistake by me. Curious as to who taught you, or are you self-taught, which does not say much for me, heehee! Hats off to you brother, and the money you have saved yourself. You are much more daring and smarter than me! She looks like a keeper to me also!

4. hailet

hailet

I have the 2008 version of your bass. It's a great sounding and playing bass. I'm sure you're going to be very happy together.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke

Can I ask a question? Did you not like the way the stock pickup sounded or you'd already made up your mind to put the Fralin in?

I ask because I have the same bass, same year, same color with a rosewood neck and I'm very happy with the sound from the stock pickup (so far). I love Fralins, had them in my old AVRI Jazz. What is the Fralin giving you that the stock pickup isn't? Thanks, and congrats, it's a beautiful bass.

7. derridiandrift

derridiandrift

I've always tried to fix things on my own... cars, bikes, amps, guitars. There are limits to what I can or am willing to do. But I've lived many years with very little money, so out of necessity I've had to learn how to fix things on my own. A long time ago I bought a book and read up on how to do it and what tools to use. Within the last five years, I've had a tech help me sharpen my skills. Still, it takes me way longer to do than someone who does setups professionally.

8. derridiandrift

derridiandrift

I have a 1960 Precision that is completely original (I know this because I inherited it from the guy who bought it new in 1960). I bought the 2011 so that I wouldn't have to take the 1960 out every time I wanted to take a P to the gig. When I A/B'ed the stock 2011 against the stock 1960, there was an obvious difference. I had the Fralin on hand, so I switched up.

The Fralin is very close to the stock 1960 pickup. I would describe the stock 2011 pickup as more refined, polite, and less punchy than the 1960 and the Fralin. If I didn't have the 1960 to compare it to, I would have been happy with the stock pickup in the 2011.

9. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Is the jury still out on the 2012 pickups? Still very curious on peoples thoughts on how they compare to.... well, just about any other P pickup. From what another forumite tells me, they are not identical inside or out to the "Original '62 RI" pickups, though the product info alludes to that fact. Either way, gonna snag me a post 2012 in another month or so.

10. Sleeq

Sleeq Supporting Member

Pickguard to black and you got a keeper :)

11. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke

Makes sense! Thanks, now you've given me something to think about. :D

12. Musicman20

Musicman20

Same here...

13. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Not to highhjack the thread but if you are at all comfortable/handy with basic tools (screwdrivers, allen wrenches), have a decent tuner (strobe type preferred) and do a little reading it's really not that hard to setup a bass. Mostly what it takes is practice and learning which adjustments impact which aspects of the bass (intonation, action, playability). The key is small adjustments and repeated measuring/checking of the results. Takes patience but really pays off. It's pretty hard to break anything if you take your time.

Oh, and great bass. I have a NOS 2008 with a 2011 fender replaced neck. It's my #1 player - works for so many things. I would say stock pickups have a little smoother top and a bit of a bump in low mids. Not a bad thing really just different and not as vintage. For old school P tone 62 originals or Fralins are great. Mine has a set of Dave Allen pickups and I am totally thrilled with them. Covers a lot a PBass ground.

14. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
  15. derridiandrift

derridiandrift

^^^ everything you said there is the truth

[DEL]I don't like[/DEL] I'm not comfortable doing frets so whenever I need that done on my basses I leave it to a pro. Everything else truly is pretty simple stuff once you figure out the balancing act that's going on.

There's not a thing wrong with the stock pickups in the 2011. I just wanted it to sound more like my old one.

I've been considering switching to a black pickguard and maybe adding a bridge cover. My 1978 was ash with maple/maple neck and a black PG. Classic 70s look.

16. The Birdman

The Birdman

I did a back-to-back on a 2012 American Standard Precision with a 2011 at my local Guitar Center yesterday. I thought the 2012 pickup was "hotter" and a bit less refined than the 2011. I personally prefer the 2008-2011 pickup. YMMV.

Roger

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Very nice - congrats...

- georgestrings

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Congrats on a nice bass. Love my 2010 Precision V.

19. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

OK 1 more setup tip.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Tool_Kits/Basic_Setup_Kit.html

You don't need the straightedge (though it would be nice to have) but the under saddle radius gauge and the string action gauge are worth their weight in gold. Only other piece is a feeler gauge which you can at any hardware or auto supply place. For about the cost of one setup at a guitar tech you can buy everything you need.

I don't do fretwork either (though I'd like to learn) but this tool will save you from buying a bass that needs fretwork or help you figure out why you can't get the setup you want.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Straightedges/Fret_Rocker.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=1857