1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD: 2012 Rickenbacker 4003 Ruby Red

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soxhats, Dec 6, 2012.

1. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

My first Ric, after wondering, dreaming and GAS'ing for a while. What turned me was borrowing a friend's 4003 for a couple of days, as well as a great experience with Wildwood Guitars.

She arrived today. My very first move was to replace the treble pickup cover (extremely annoying obstacle for me) with an aftermarket treble bezel deluxe. I also changed the strings from the stock Ric strings to Rotosound 66s. (The factory strings were perfectly fine, but I had the Rotos already and thought I might as well go for the classic combination.)

The neck is a bit fuller and more D-shaped than I'd thought it would be. While I'm usually not fond of such a neck profile, for whatever reason, this one feels right in my hand.

The red is stunning.

This is going to be fun.
  2. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

I own a MD And a MG Ric and I love them both, but that Ruby is definitely something special....

Congrats!!!!:hyper:
  3. blastoff99

blastoff99 Supporting Member

Gorgeous color. Congratulations!
  4. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Beautiful bass man!
    Nothing like a new Rick. I'll have another one someday...:)
    Take Care,
    Brent
  5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Ya the 2012 neck got a little fatter. the 2009, 2010, and 2011 basses had slimmer necks. Not a huge difference though.
  6. zhollywood

zhollywood Supporting Member

Absolutely beautiful!
    I have a 79 Autumnglo Ric 4001 and ever since I was a kid (I'm 22 now) have always wanted a Ruby Rick!
  7. woodyng

woodyng

Congrats,Ruby is one of the best looking colors they've done,and it looks especially great with the classic features of the 4003!
  8. BassGen

BassGen Supporting Member

Looks beautiful! Congrats!

I love my 2011 MG and also have a 2010 JG.
  9. RobJ

RobJ Supporting Member

She's a beaut - Congrats!
  10. jbossolo

jbossolo Supporting Member

Very nice! How's that growl?
  11. Stephent28

Stephent28 Supporting Member

yes...the new color looks incredible under the lights!

you are gonna love it.

congrats
  12. soxhats

Thanks, everyone! She's a growling!... Neck feels not too far from my 2009 P Bass.
  13. randyg

randyg Supporting Member

Looks great , love the red. By the way , your old Ray says hello. I will be rocking it Jan 25 opening for the Joe Taylor Group!
  14. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Beautiful! Congrats!
  15. soxhats

Hey Randy! As you can see, I did a SPLENDID job not buying another bass after I sold you the Ray because I had too many basses.:rollno:
  16. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded Supporting Member

love the color...reminds me of the burgundy Ric 4001 Cliff Burton used to play. You are giving me some major Ric GAS..i'm still kicking myself for selling mine a few years ago. congrats, dude
  17. portlandguy

portlandguy

I like that color,
  18. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

Does your bass have the thicker neck up by the headstock? I think they call it a volute. The ruby that I played had that, and it made the neck feel a lot fatter.
  19. Josh Thatguy

Josh Thatguy Registered abUser Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Add this to the list of confusing details. I thought the necks were all chunky until major changes for the 2012 model year, from what I'd read.
    Either way, I'm lusting for one...... now I just gotta find a Ric owner who wants to swap for a bass project originally built for Peter Steele.....

The Blackstar Ric I saw on another thread yesterday floored me. But then again, this sanguine-toned Ric is gorgeous too... reminds me of fresh blood.... and after all, what's a little blood amongst friends anyway....
  20. soxhats

I'm guessing it does. To be honest, I was expecting a slightly thinner neck, but am happy with this one nonetheless. Feels kinda like my 2009 P Bass, maybe just the tiniest bit more of a D profile on the Ric. I find the chunkiness pleasant -- not like a big fat 60s P or a StingRay, which I don't find comfortable. YMMV, of course.