NBD- 2012 Warwick Rockbass Corvette

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chaser1, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Chaser1

Chaser1

Hi everyone,

I had a new bass day last week when I bought a MIM Jazz, however after playing it for a few days the love faded and flaws started to become apparent. I had picked it up used and it had a completely dead set of strings on it so when I got home I plugged it in gave it a spin then tossed on the new strings. The immediate change was pretty significant. I played it for 3 days then picked up my old Squire Matt Freeman and realized that in comparison the Jazz plays terrible. It sounded completely lifeless and had no sustain. With my squire notes will ring out for about 10 seconds but I was getting maybe 5 or six depending where I was playing on the neck. A whole note played at 60 bpm was barely audibe once beat 4 came around.

So back to the store it went. I was intending to just kick in the extra $150 it was going to cost me to buy a new jazz when I spotted a beautiful looking Warwick on the wall. I took a look at the price tag and was shocked, only then did I clue in that it was from their upgraded Rockbass line, which now that they have removed the large Rockbass on the head stock and replaced it with the Warwick "W" is easily confused. I played it and was blown away. I sounded awesome and was exactly what I was looking for from the Jazz in the first place. I really enjoy that growly funk tone, something similar to Flea's but maybe a little less aggressive. The only reservation I had was that it was in the Nirvana Back oil finish. I would have preferred it in that rich brown finish that Warwick does a lot, but It was something I could live with.

I am a huge fan of how they brought this line up closer to an actual Warwick with the two piece bridge adjust-a-nut system and the MEC pickups (I am assuming they are a budget model) but they still sound great. The setup was almost spot on when I picked it up. As it was on the wall I don't know if they set it up before putting it out, but if this was the out of box setup they did a pretty good job. Overall I couldn't be happier. I would say if you haven't played something out of the update Rockbass line pick one up you may be surprised by how good it feels.

Attached Files:

2. oleskool

oleskool

I like these too. How much did it set you back? I know where there is one in a pawn shop. If all the stars line up and it's still there I may pick it up.
    Congrats.
    They feel good at first the more you play it, some of that mojo wears off. Still cool though.

3. Chaser1

Chaser1

I got it for $600 Canadian which is about $50 more than the general price online. I had thought about buying online to save the extra $50 but couldn't find an online retailer in Canada that carried them and didn't want to get a horrible surprise from the duty I would have to pay if I bought out of the states.

4. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox

I just sold my Corvette w/ active elec. for $220 on Craigslist. It was used for about 10 hrs. I bought a Squier Jazz mod. Jazz sunburst. For me, the Squier is way better in every aspect. I also ordered a Modulus J neck to replace the stock neck.

The wood on the Corvette was too soft. Plus the lightness of it made it feel cheap to me. I had the natural finish version.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BoomBoomOGTL

BoomBoomOGTL Supporting Member

Warwick states the hardware and pickups on the Rockbass are exactly the same products installed on their German manuf'd basses. Winning!

7. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

Disclosures:
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Congratulations on the new bass! Yes, the upgrades to the Rockbass line made a tremendous improvement! The hardware and pickups are exactly the same as whats used on German basses, and QC is a top priority. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you've got any questions, and enjoy your new bass!

8. Chaser1

Chaser1

Thanks WarwickOfficial. I think you guys are doing a great job being present on these forums. Feels pretty good after after spending $600 (which was a lot for me) on a bass that someone from the actual company would reach out. Keep up the good work!

I guess Direct Box Rox, to each their own. I didn't really vibe much with the Jazz but the Corvette sounds and feels exactly like what I was looking for. I really like the fact that its lighter weight, I like that I can play for a while standing with little to no fatigue. For me that's a bonus.

9. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

Disclosures:
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Thank you, Chaser1! Glad that you're happy and have a bass that you're comfortable with! It really comes down to what works for you, and allows you to speak your voice and make music!! Enjoy!!

10. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox

I also find it interesting that most manufacturers have abandoned print advertising while Warwick has gotten way more aggressive. How many double trucks & full page ads in one issue of Bass Player do they run. Not to mention things like inside front cover, etc

There is still value to print advertising. I wouldn't have bought two Zon's if I never saw their print ad they used to run in the 90's that would say "Jazz Bass for the 90's".