1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD "2013 Model" Gibson Les Paul Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stiles72, Nov 26, 2013.

1. stiles72

stiles72

Thanks to the blow out prices at AMS, I just received my "2013 Model" Gibson Les Paul Bass and thought I'd post some initial impressions.

Out of the box the QC is dead perfect. Wow! I can't find any of the typical Gibson issues (wavy nitro, unfinished edges, overspray, messy control cavity, etc...) that Gibson owners sort of come to expect. This is one of the best finished Gibson instruments I have seen in a very long time. :) AMS didn't have pictures to choose from like Sweetwater, but I was pleased to see the burst is not abrupt or too contrasting. It has a very nice warm and almost Honeyburst tone to it, unlike my '00 Les Paul Classic. The maple top also has some nice and noticeable grain pattern to it. The bass looks huge, but feels very light. I haven't had a chance to weight it, but I would guess it's not any heavier than my Thunderbirds. The neck feels nice and slim at the nut like a Thunderbird, but widens out and has more of a chunky feel as you progress up the neck. Overall balance is very good, but I think I will add a strap button to the neck heel if I decide to keep her.

The action out of the box is very very low. That's not exactly my cup of tea, but I know a lot of folks prefer that. The pickups also were raised very high- right up close to the strings - making it super loud, and overly bright to my ears. I lowered both pickups down quite a bit, and the volume leveled off and the low end blossomed nicely. It went from a ringing piano tone to now having more of a woody and "upright bass" tone. Even though the neck pickup is not as close to the neck as on the Thunderbird, I can't really tell that much difference in tone. The archtop naturally makes me want to rest my right hand at that location anyway, so it makes a good anchor point right where it is.

After playing it for about an hour, I'm really liking the way it sounds and feels. Looking forward to taking it out on this weeks gigs!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

3. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Super nice!

4. Basshappi

Basshappi

That is a real beauty, congrats!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tbone76

Tbone76

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Very, very nice. Congrats!

8. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    Wow! Gorgeous!!! Play the ever-lovin' heck out of it!

10. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

I'm sorry, that is just TOO nice. You will have to take it back.

That would be cool to play in our band. Our lead guitar plays Les Pauls exclusively, and that would just look super cool.

11. stiles72

stiles72

Our guitarist has an SG and a V and I've been after him to play his '68 Les Paul (he complains it's too heavy). Along with the Thunderbird, I think we'll now have most of the Gibson "rock" designs covered! lol

12. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Firemelon
    Really a great looking bass!

13. pudgychef

pudgychef

Congrats! Very Nice!

14. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

Gosh, that's really something. Rock the snot out of that hting.

15. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

16. hsech

hsech Smile. Life is short. Gold Supporting Member

Beautiful. Congrats. In a previous life when I played guitar I had a LP Standard in the same finish.

17. rupture

rupture Supporting Member

Love the guitar , bass not so much but hey it's your party tear it up

18. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

im the last person to play a gibson, but i gotta say, she sure is pretty. rock it outm an, congrats :)

19. Jim C

Jim C

Good looking instrument
    Are they heavy?

20. Geni758

Geni758

Sweet looking. Matches your LP very nicely. Enjoy!

21. stiles72

stiles72

I don't think it feels heavy - but then again I play T-birds mostly. I'm guessing it weighs around 10 lbs or so. It definitely has some heft to it compared to a Fender. I was actually surprised that it didn't feel as heavy as it does just based on it's sheer size.