1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD 2014 - 'A' Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emblymouse, Jan 1, 2014.

1. emblymouse

emblymouse I Dig A Pony Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    Check me out:bassist: I came across this on eBay with a couple hours left to bid. I was the one and only bidder!

[​IMG]

I can't believe no one else gave it a go. I had one in Quilt Sunburst and sold it thinking I was headed for 5 strings only. These are scarce, this is the only other one I'd seen up for sale.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 'A' in 'A'Bass is for Alby Balgochian, bassist and luthier out of the Boston area. This was designed with Darryl Jones and is the forerunner to the Lakland DJ sig.(body shape familiar?)
    Each one hand made by Alby and man are these sweet. This one has Barts and a Seymour Duncan 3 band, my last one had Lane Poor's and an OBP-1. This is the only one he made in the Trans White finish. Check the freakin' neck! That is a very unusual choice of rosewood, it's like a milk chocolate color. It was even lighter but I cleaned and conditioned it yesterday. Great attention to detail and super comfortable.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Very cool.
    I like the trans white finish. Is that swamp ash?
  3. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nice score! Congrats!
  4. emblymouse

Disclosures:
    I'm a lucky boy. It was a total fluke that I saw this.

That is Ash for sure, it isn't real heavy so likely would be Swamp Ash. We'll see about the 'electricals'. No matter really, it hums nicely unplugged on your lap. It has that physical harmony you don't often find.
  5. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine
    this one looks exactly like the one I saw the bassist for "the slip" playing years ago. How many could there be out there with these specs? Man he was good..
  6. emblymouse

Disclosures:
    The skinny was this is the only Mary Kay finish Alby did.
    Who's 'the slip'?
  7. Nobody

Nobody

The wood selection and finish on your bass is awesome! Congrats!
  8. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    they were a band from Boston I think, I remember seeing them maybe 10-15 years ago. IIRC they were originally an instrumental fusion trio, but as time went on, it started getting a little pop-ier with more vocals. I liked the early stuff I heard the best.

I remember clearly that dude's A bass sounded great. Now that I remember though, I think it was fretless with flats
  9. pfox14

pfox14

I love the bird's eye maple neck. Very cool. Not easy stuff to work with.
  10. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    man, good score. The DJ Skylines cost a couple hundred more!!
  11. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Beautiful bass, bet it sounds great!
    Love the birdseye :)
  12. 20db pad

20db pad

Nice bass - I'd have bid on it if I knew it was there !
  13. mellowinman

mellowinman

That's really nice.

Very unique.
  14. PetersReviews

PetersReviews

Very nice! Glad you got a deal!
  15. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

What did this go for? $$
    If you don't mind me asking?
  16. ShowLow

ShowLow Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

Wow! Total score. What a beauty.
  17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

There aren't too many people that can make a bass that immediately feels like it was made for your body. Albey did that over and over again. He necks were the best. I played a few, including this bass in Boston. Great catch.

Jake...The Slip was very cool. I saw them back in the day as well. Cool to hear that name again.
  18. Smurf_Byte

Smurf_Byte Supporting Member

I almost got that finish when I ordered mine from Albey. I ended up getting the burst finish on the one you bought from me here on TB. Great find. Enjoy!
  19. Joel Graham

Joel Graham I Brake for Basses! Supporting Member

I was wondering who may have snagged this one! It actually ran once before that auction with no bidders... I was scratching my head when there were no bids... The second time around I also felt very motivated to bid but... Both times it was at $900. opening bid. A slammin' deal... I suspect there are others with that finish. It was an option back in the day. Your's is, I believe, a Jade bass. That model followed the World bass. Jade was what the model was called and Darryl Jones like "adopted it" more or less... Ditto on those necks!! Super nice feeling!!
  20. emblymouse

Disclosures:
    Wow, with so many of you who know this bass it feels like a family. You all can be Uncles!
    The deal got sweeter too- comes in a Mooradian gig bag with a brand new Comfort Strapp and a set of Rotos. The Barts and Duncan pre give this a very smooth attack and a nice full bottom. Got to see what this does at the gig but it sure is a nice alternative to all the 'Steroidal' Jazz's.