1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD - 2014 Gibson SG special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bogdan101, Feb 13, 2014.

1. bogdan101

bogdan101

Hi all,

my first post here :bassist:, and my first bass :hyper: . I play guitar, but got interested in bass lately. I picked this one up from my local store, and it went back for a set-up the next day, because of buzz on the A and D strings at the 12th fret. It actually needs a fret leveling I think, but I'll see what they can do.

The other thing I noticed is the E string sounds weaker than the others on the neck pickup. The bridge sound is fine. Is this typical for this bass, or should I exchange it for a different one? Btw, I love the feel of the short scale neck.

Cheers!

Bogdan
  2. GM60466

GM60466

Take it back, and make them do it right.
  3. progrmr

progrmr

Pics or it didn't happen!!
  4. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

+1
  5. FourNotFive

FourNotFive Supporting Member

Congrats! If you are coming from guitar the SG neck may be a good transition for you.

See how it is when you get it back from the setup before deciding if you should return it.

If your name is Bogdan shouldn't it be "Zivio" instead of "Cheers"???
  6. bogdan101

bogdan101

Thanks guys! I don't know what zivio means, probably cheers?.. :) I'm Romanian.

I'll post pics when I get it back, hopefully tomorrow.
  7. bogdan101

bogdan101

Update: the tech at the shop couldn't fix it and they sent it back to Gibson; now I'm waiting for a new one to show up.
  8. bogdan101

bogdan101

Update again: got a new one and it's a keeper! And it smells good too :bassist:

[​IMG]
  9. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Looks good! Enjoy it, and play lots

Does the neck pickup have better volume balance for the E-string this time?
  10. bogdan101

bogdan101

Thanks!... Yes, this one sounds good all around. The G string sounds a little thin, but maybe it needs to be played a bit. What strings do you guys put on your SG basses?
  11. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

This has been an issue with them. Check it out at the bass outpost. What I remember is the inner pickup under the cover is not aligned correctly. Remove the pickup and check its alignment.
  12. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

Can you explain this some more, because it doesn't make sense. The cover has holes through which the pole pieces go, so if there is an alignment issue I would think it would effect the cover as well.

[​IMG]
  13. aproud1

aproud1 Hit that long lunar note, and let it float. Gold Supporting Member

Congrats! Those are killer basses. :bassist:

I really like Labella white nylon tapes on mine. Felt and sounded oh so right. Just make sure to get the medium scale as the short scale set just barely fit mine.
  14. shorty4life

shorty4life

I just strung my shorty with medium guage LaBella flats last week and they are awesome. So evenly balanced from string to string and the fretted notes sound almost same as the open notes. I was definitely going for the vintage sound though. Also the medium guage feels pretty tight. No slop issues...
  15. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

I believe the pole pieces aren't actually functional and are there only for looks. I think what barkless dog is talking about is the foam or springs that support the pickup not aligning the pickup to balance output between the strings properly. The neck pickup is a TB+ and not an actual sidewinder like the original mudbucker.
  16. Guinness20

Guinness20

That looks stunning! If I went for a short scale it would have to be this!
  17. jason the fox

jason the fox Often rocks and rarely rolls. Supporting Member

I've had mine for a little over a year and it still smells like some kind of vanilla lol.

Nothing says rock and roll like a vanilla scented bass :bassist::bassist::bassist:
  18. Psychbunny

Psychbunny

I have only had my SG since last fall. I keep mine on a stand so I sadly have lost that maple syrupy smell. I have two baked maple necked basses and love opening the case for that lowdown breakfast smell.

I know it is sacrilege but I have the original strings on both My 2012 and 2013 Gibson's. I have used round-wounds since 1979. With rounds it helps to let them age a bit. I usually use GHS Boomers but haven't decided which way to go on the Gibby's yet.