1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD!!! 2nd Fender Fiver... 2nd Candy Cola Maple....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ShirazBop, Feb 25, 2013.

1. ShirazBop

ShirazBop Gold Supporting Member

Took delivery on this beauty earlier today...

[​IMG]

2012 Fender American Standard Jazz V....

Compliments perfectly with my 2011 Fender American Standard Precision V in Candy Cola / Maple...

As her former owner Doug Parent would say,... plays like buttah! In addition to this beauty, I am thankful to you also for your comment on the Precision V's FS post stating "P Bass players, this is the fiver you need..." That was a key prompt for me to dive into this side of the pool...

More pics here: http://smu.gs/15KUvbe

My foray into the land of 5's continues....

Best advise for transitioning from long time 4 string only player,... immerse yourself on the 5 and set the 4 strings to the side... Have done this and it really really, did I say really,...helped!

Anyone want to buy a couple of my 4 bangers...????

I have been advised, and am heeding,..not to sell off all my 4 stringers...

Loving this Candy Cola Float goodness!

Thanks again Doug and Thank You Talkbass!
  2. electracoyote

electracoyote

Beautiful combo. I wouldn't change a thing.

How's the low B?
  3. portlandguy

portlandguy

I have a 2012 Am Std Precision 4 string in candy cola. When I bought it new I realy did not care what color as long as it was not black. Now starting to really love that color.
  4. bass32

bass32 Supporting Member

Congrats on your new bass. Looks nice. :hyper:

I've lived in the world of 5 bangers for about 20 years now. I know they're not for everyone, but they fit me perfectly.

I just received my 2012 AM Stnd P5 Candy Cola/Maple last thursday and I replaced the pg tonight with a white pearl. Really liking how it looks.

Here's a pic I took over the weekend that shows the metalic in the Candy Cola;

[​IMG]
  5. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Nice bass.

I play 5ers 90% of the time, but it is nice to have a 4 string around!
  6. ShirazBop

Thanks guys... The Candy Cola was not my first choice originally, had always been partial to black and maple, but the P5 was so attractive and I've grown to really like the color, especially the metal flake aspect that really makes them pop.

My main desire was to get a J5 with the maple neck that's the same as what they're using in the P5's... keeping them the same to help with the transition... Was first trying to find a black one but then this one came up in the classifieds from a highly reputable seller at an attractive price so had to go for it... So glad that I did!

This one is set up top loaded so a little less tension then my P5 that is strung through. The action is way low calling for a lighter attack.

The low B is great though could benefit from going string through.

I want to try a set of Sadowsky's on one of them, possibly the Blue SS...

I've thought about the white pearl pick guard style. This one came with a black pearl that looks pretty good. I'm going to probably keep her classic dressed and see if anyone in the congregation (besides my band mates) notices the difference in basses this Sunday.,,

Totally satisfied with this 2012 Jazz V and the previously purchased (also through Talkbass classifieds) 2011 Precision V... After years of tweaking and modding on my 4 bangers, I'm leaning toward just keeping these gals totally stock with the exception of strings and possible pick guard swaps...
  7. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I'm really starting to dig that color love it
  8. Mike M.

Mike M.

YEAH!!! That's identical to my 2011 AM STD 5 string Jazz!! I bought mine in December of 2011 and I have yet do do any kind of a setup on it. It didn't need it then and it still doesn't.

Congrat's!! I know how you feel.
  9. bass32

bass32 Supporting Member

10. Already In Use

Already In Use

Candy Cola! I have folks coming up to me just because of the bass color..Liken it on the Jazz 4!
  11. ShirazBop

12. ShirazBop

Might be due to the setup differences but, the Jazz V's neck "seems" slightly thinner, front to back than the P5's.

Anyone who has played both have a similar experience/view?
  13. Wallace320

Wallace320

But, down to handy feel, it's very much like the comparison between Squier's Vintage Modified V neck (almost like your American Standard Jazz V) and Squier's active deluxe V neck (almost on par with your American Standard Precision V neck)

Never been able to actually measure cause we find many Jazz 5er but not so many (never came across one yet, honestly) Precision 5er;)

Cheers,
    Wallace
  14. dalkowski

dalkowski

15. Cyborg

Cyborg

I'm not really into red color basses but I dig the Candy Cola color with a maple fretboard!
  16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Great color! Congrats on your new bass.
  17. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    looks great!!
  18. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    dang, that's sweet.
  19. SDMFJay

SDMFJay

So jealous...very nice 5er! Congrats!
  20. ShirazBop

Well, played her in a band setting: practice yesterday, worship this morning and an unplanned opportunity to practice with our youth band this afternoon...

FYI: I use a Sadowsky Outboard DI through an Ampeg PB250 head and an Ampeg PB-212H cabinet... Have them setting on a keyboard stand for less stage coupling and easier for my +50 frame to reach and see the controls... LOL

Playability and tone is Wow!!! Our sound guy, (knowledgable and servant hearted, we're totally blessed) really liked the sound. My worship leader, from comments made yesterday, is giving me the impression he prefers the J as well...

The action on the B is a scosh too low for my sometimes heavy handed attack, but other than that, she delivered the goods above expectation!

I do like the slightly lower tension feel on all but he B string in the top loaded configuration and,... I do think I was playing more notes then on my P, not so much busier, but maybe jazzier...:bag:

Overall,...Very Very happy!!!! :bassist: