1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD. 6 string sm goodness

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by punisher911, Oct 28, 2013.

1. punisher911

punisher911

A few years back, I came across a good deal on a Carvin 6. Purple with gold hardware. It was a beauty, but after a while, couldn't find a need for a 6. Fast forward to a few days ago. The spalted maple caught my eye. The tight string spacing made it playable to me. Just had to buy it. I really wanted a BTB 676, but the wide string spacing was a killer. I'm a pick player so I like tighter strings. Brought it home and put some Hi Beams on it. Piano like highs for sure. 3 string power chords high up on the neck with some chorus sound amazing. Maybe down the road I'll try some nickel Lo Riders, but I'm happy for now.

[​IMG]
  2. rtav

rtav

Congrats on your purchase! I was a 4 string player for 34 years until I visited a friend's practice space and played an ESP LTD B-206SM. A month later I bought one and permanently retired 4 string basses.

It's a great bass and I know you're going to really enjoy it! They're stupid good guitars for the money.

Here's my B-206SM with my ESP LTD B-336SR (almost identical except the 336SR has EMG's and is a slightly longer scale) and Fretwraps on both.

[​IMG]
  3. rtav

rtav

BTW I use Lo-Riders on both
  4. punisher911

punisher911

Nickel or steel? I'm normally a flat on everything guy, but I think I'll keep rounds on this.
  5. El-Bob

El-Bob

Those LTD's are tragically under-rated. I used an LTD D-6 for years and it was an incredible bass in every way. Congrats on the NBD!
  6. mark beem

mark beem Supporting Member

Nice!!!
  7. rtav

rtav

I use Lo-Rider steel strings.
  8. punisher911

punisher911

and the fretboard was super dry. Needed a lemon oil wipedown for sure. I might end up trying some Lo-Riders eventually. Just to compare. I normally put flats on everything, but I think I'm going to keep rounds on this.
  9. spz8

spz8

I just set one of these up for a friend who's a casual player. I thought the neck was pretty sweet, but the pre-amp leaves a lot to be desired. A good platform for mods though.
  10. punisher911

punisher911

I've also noticed that my bridge pup is a bit noisy. It has a hum to it.. Any ideas on why? bad ground or something?
  11. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

Love my 206sm... It is true that the pickups and Pre leave something to be desired, but the thing feels so nice that it was a no brainer to swap them out. I put EMG DCs in with a BQS preamp and the bass sings now.

Congrats on your purchase!
  12. punisher911

punisher911

Did it make a big difference?
  13. mark beem

mark beem Supporting Member

I have a B205SM fretless that I'm wanting to swap out the stock pups / pre.. Are the EMGs direct, drop-in replacements?
  14. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother. Supporting Member

Nice! HNBD.