1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD '84 G&L El Toro, ya know like the mower.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by atrapp, Aug 22, 2013.

1. atrapp

atrapp Gold Supporting Member

A lucky find on Guitar Centers used site - spend way to much time perusing for hot deals. Bought it Monday night, they couldn't get it shipped on Tuesday so the overnight'ed it to me Wednesday - crazy buggers!

I dig the slim body, kind of like a squished jazz. Fast easy neck yet a little on the heavy for this Sadowsky player, but I wont be wearing it all night - so what the hey.
    The electronics function as the should, that is to say they are odd and not necessarily to my liking. From neck to bridge: black - pickup selector, red disconnects the pickup selector and runs both pups in series (kind of like the oh God switch on the L2000, 2500), and lastly white - treble cut. Knobs volume, treble and bass. Seems a perfect candidate for one of Nordstrands vintage Stingray preamps.
    I'll gig it Saturday night for a couple of tunes to see how it sits in the mix.
    Fotos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Looks like a nice one. 'Grats.
  3. calypsocoral302

calypsocoral302

I think that would have to be the greatest quantity of AWESOME I have seen in any NBD post!!!!! :bassist:
  4. jbossolo

jbossolo Supporting Member

VERY nice find bro! I've always liked Toro's, and the finish on this one is fantastic. Enjoy it in good health. :bassist:
  5. IPA

IPA

Nice! I love the red switch on these, looks like it's going to launch a missile or something. Practically does...
  6. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

That thing looks great! Take some time with it. When I first got my Fender Roscoe Beck sig V I hated it! There are so many choices on the bass. I couldn't get used to it. However, when I finally got my head wrapped around it, I fell in love with it. It bacame my #1 overnight.

Either way, enjoy!
  7. dkelley

dkelley

Awesome and beautiful! I wouldn't touch a thing.... You bought a g&l, that's how they work. Embrace it LoL

I doubt a stingray pup will sound as good as a g&l pup in a g&l, similar design, same inventor, same quality, intended for different designs, but it's your bass and if it works out then cool!
  8. PluckyThump

PluckyThump Supporting Member

Nice Score. The white switch is the preamp on/off; as you've already found turning it on boosts the treble. Don't do any modification that you can't un-do and restore back to original! Less than 1200 El Toro's were made.

http://www.vintageguitar.com/7677/the-gl-el-toro/
  9. msact

msact Supporting Member

I have an 84 El Toro in trans red and love it. I couldn't imagine swapping the pickups for anything. It has a very bright, snappy jazz bass type sound. I cringe whenever I see such a terrific instrument being modded, but to each his own.
  10. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

Ooof... i had a Trans Red El Toro.

It sits at the top of my "wish i never sold it" pile.
  11. msact

msact Supporting Member

Here is mine. I got this off of someone on the bassesbyleo forum a while ago.
    [​IMG]
  12. atrapp

Yeah I had got that sorted - kind of :smug:
    Not to worry about any non reversible mods, idle thoughts as I am unlikely to sink any money into this.
    Anyone tried flats on one?
  13. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

That is a VERY nice bass, and those pickups are superb... I would not change a thing.

In fact, there was a thread inquiring about what basses will become more valuable in the future... and that one (if left un-modified) would be a good bet to appreciate as time goes on.

The odd early G&L's are vastly under-appreciated, and still a tremendous value.
  14. atrapp

The strings that it came with were to dead to be useful, so I put some Dean Markley rounds on it - vast improvement. I can't get the neck quite as flat as I'd like, but considering the age - it is very good.
    Looking forward to gigging it this weekend - see how it sounds through a bigger rig.