1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD: '92/'93 Fender MIM Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JDLowEnd, Mar 2, 2014.

1. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

I was fortunate to trade off a guitar that I never used to get this bad boy. SN dates it to be a 1992 or 1993. When I got it it came with a lame "snakeskin" pickguard. While removing the pg I found that it was merely a decal attached to a 3ply white pg. I would have kept the white pg but it had cream colored spots from the adhesive used to attach the snakeskin crap. I recently purchased an anodized pg from a tb member on here and I think it looks great. It came with a badass II bridge, SD Basslines pickup, and schaller tuners. Neck was straight, so I knew it was a keeper. The guy included the original bridge which was nice. I bought some new pg screws and put the new guard on. The pots are extremely scratchy and I am going to replace them, it's going to get new pots, a new cap, and a new jack. After putting some new strings on, it's going to need a good setup, there are some dead spots and buzzing. Anyways it was a good score IMO, tried to find out any info on these manufacturing years, but couldn't find anything, guess I don't need to worry too much.

[​IMG]

2. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

3. barebones

barebones

Sweet bass! Now get that hammer away from it. I feel like the hammer could jump up and whack your bass without warning!

4. hardtwister

hardtwister Supporting Member

Those mods sound like a nice upgrade. Congrats JDLowEnd!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

I know, I had to get out the "local tool kit" for the knobs, had to rummage through the various hammers and screwdrivers. Everything is all put away now, it actually made me think how perfect condition this bass is for it's age, not a mark on her, no Knicks, scratches, or even pick marks.

7. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

I bought a '92 Jazz last year and the neck was great. I will never get rid of it probably. I sold the body though...I bought it mainly for the neck. They came stock with Schaller tuners back then, up until '94 I believe.

8. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

Well looks like it is going to need a new nut, string moves quite a bit within the nut slot on the a string. I do have a $10 guitar center certificate, damn, guess it's a trip after work tomorrow. Does anybody know how close the fender or graphtec nuts are as far as setting the action, I don't have any files at the moment and hoping I won't need them

9. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

Bought a new graph tech nut,most hopefully it will fit, do any local stores sell the nut files for a 4 string?

10. harleyman888

harleyman888

Nice grab. I just picked up a 93/94 MIM P. I replaced the tuners with hipshots. One was not staying in tune.