1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD - '94 Peavey Fury rescue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pearly Gator, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Pearly Gator

Pearly Gator

I've been wanting a USA Fury for decades and stumbled on two black ones in a pawn shop! One had a more rounded headstock, fuller neck and was in 9/10 shape. The one I grabbed had a thinner jazz type neck, was lighter, had sharper body edges and resonated like crazy. It was the special one.

Plugging into an SWR bass amp to test, the tone was very, very good. But I hung it back on the rack and headed out to the car where my wife was waiting. I told her about it and mentioned I didn't really need another bass. In her wisdom she asked, "Will you later regret not buying it?" That settled it. I went back in with wifely instructions to, "Offer them a stupid low price." $54 later, it was mine.

I had to remount the controls with lock washers, replace the missing knobs, clean the pots, clean the frets, remove Metallica, KORN and an alien head stickers, file down fret sprout and lube the truss rod. I installed a set of Chrome flatwounds and this bass is mojo city. I cannot put it down. Inside the neck pock is a stamp: 94 7 12. So, I guess it was made July 12, 1994. The S/N starts with 072.

It has it's scars. Some scratches and buckle rash. But she sings like nobody's business. Now I need to find two original knobs for it.

Can someone direct me to the Peavey Fury Owner's Club? :D

[​IMG]
  2. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Nice score - those MIA Peaveys really are an incredable value for the money...

- georgestrings
  3. pfox14

pfox14

$54!! What a deal
  4. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

$54 is an amazing deal.
  5. mark beem

mark beem Supporting Member

6. Five String

Five String

7. Pearly Gator

Pearly Gator

Thanks! I'll be there to join shortly.

The one I passed on had a headstock like your bass has. See the shape difference between yours and mine? I wonder when Peavey did that.
  8. Five String

Five String

Interesting point. I didn't notice that.

If these were Fenders there would already have been 8 or 10 TB threads on when and why the change was done and lots of debates about which was better, worth more, etc.
  9. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I picked up one just like yours a few years ago for $125 and I though that was a great deal, WOW!

I loved mine. Actually I just passed it on to my great nephew on Christmas. I had a pro set up done with a set of Chromes and it plays great.

[​IMG]