1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD...95 P LYTE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by schecter5string, Aug 8, 2012.

1. schecter5string

schecter5string

well I have had this bass for three weeks now, and I must say I love it!
    Its got a fast jazz neck, small light body, and no neck dive!!
    It has some very useful tones. I mostly favor the split P pick up. The jazz pickup seems a little nasally for my taste. I do blend in some jazz pu for definition. But soloed it well....sucks. I don't know if it is the pu or the pre?
    Either way I still love this bass. I do think IM gonna swap out the pre for something else. Maybe a three band, with active, passive switch?
    This bass is exactly what I was looking for, I don't think I will ever get rid of it, I may mod it a little, but it is definitely a keeper!

Attached Files:

2. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Congrats, you did great!

3. Immigrant

Immigrant

Congratulations! Pretty cool.

Love PJs.

4. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Sexy , one of these in the classifieds for 350$ with a hardcase.....so tempting.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

I've had a couple of these. Wired one of them passive with DiMarzio pickups/3 way switch and it made a big difference. Much better sound on both pickups.

7. atomicdog

atomicdog Supporting Member

I have one. It's one of my favorite Fenders. Very versatile. Fast neck. Vastly underrated.

8. Wyattsgroove

Wyattsgroove

Nice bass. I remember when these came out and I so desperately wanted one! I had to settle on a mid 70's BNB Jazz as it was far cheaper than this was new.

Ahh... The good ol' days.

Congrats and enjoy!

WG.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Killer! I have a 95 P Lyte my own self, and it's my main bass these days. But those pickups and preamp have got to go! I've tried several different pickups, both passive and active...

Vintage style PJ's passive...not enough balls.

Duncan Quarter Pounders passive...balls but not enough high end.

DiMarzio Model PJ's active...slightly different from the QP's but still not enough high end.

EMG PJX's with BQC pre...much better but a little too bright for my tastes.

EMG PJ's with BQC...winner!!!

For some reason, the P Lyte doesn't react too well to pickups that aren't very hot. Put some hot pickups in it and it comes to life, though. All except the vintage PJ's were an improvement over the stock crap pickups IMHO. The only flaw to a really great bass.

10. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

I just stripped the finish off my lyte. I'm considering this same package when I put it back together. Would you say it's versatile or is it just giving you the particular sound you're looking for?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    It gives me several sounds I'm looking for, so I'd say both ;)

12. R&B

R&B Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

Recently got hold of a '90s P Lyte Deluxe...pure luck...nice and light. Came with an upgraded SD Basslines P pup. Punchy as can be. Very low action with a little fret buzz--adjusted the truss rod and--awesome sauce! Congrats on yours. These are underrated little MIJ gems. Keeper for sure.

13. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

Thanks. I'm hoping to end up with a retroish look with, for lack of a better term, a modern sound. It's a bit of trouble but the bass plays so nice I can't part with it. Just not crazy about the looks.

The stock electronics haven't bothered me to bad. I replaced the bridge pu with a bart noiseless. No hum but still a thin.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Ya, the bridge pickup is pretty far back on the P Lyte and it often sounds thin to me. If I fixed anything on it, it would be that. But I do get a cool Jazz-ish sound with it by backing off the J a little so it's all good. And I hear you about the looks. Certainly there are cooler looking basses out there. I find it hard to care while I'm playing mine, though I'd rather have a black one.

15. gleneg61

gleneg61

Great basses, quality builds. A friend has one, I flipped it over n played it upside down n lefty n was mega envious. Wish they woulda made some in lefty. Now got gas thinking about getting a lefty copy made. Hmm... Congrats on a great buy!

16. Labi

Labi

Out of some 20 basses I've owned, my P bass Lyte is the only one I have never considered selling nor trading. I bought it new back in '96. I've defreted it and added a battery compartment tho'.

[​IMG]

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    You look right at home on it, too ;)

Cute kid! Get 'em started right...

18. popgadget

popgadget

Disclosures:
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    I've got a pair of Lyte Deluxes, one is a factory unlined fretless, the other is fretted. I put EMG P-J with a BQS running 18v. The fretted one I kept the stock pups, but added an Audere 4 band pre, also running 18v. They are the nicest playing basses I have encountered. I no longer own any Fender "heavyweights". I would be pretty sure that you will love your Lyte. Congrats!