NBD: A mistreated MusicMan S.U.B. 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Interius, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Interius

Interius

Okay. I bought myself one of these today for the neat price of 85$. Though, it's not that hard to see why the price is so low.
    Warning: These pictures might be unsuited for any bass-lovers anywhere :bag:
    First: The bass itself.
    [​IMG]

Second: The Scars.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The "grove" on the left side of the pickup goes about 0.2 inches in, and the other parts are merely scraped off paint. And then there's the drill-holes. I have no idea what to think of this. :rollno:
    The stickers aren't really a problem, they were easy to remove.
    The guy who sold me this sad that this bass has been used in some sort of hardcore-punk band, and that the owner "wasn't very careful with it". That explains alot.

"How is it to play?"

It's an absolute wreck. It needs a setup so badly that it's making me slightly nervous just to have it around me. Every time I touch a string, all the tuners on the headstock buzz and vibrate so bad that you can hear some of it in the pickups. True story.
    The string height is too damn high, the neck needs some professional help, and I think the electronics might need an overhaul as well.

But. I can still feel some potential in this beast.
    So, what do you guys think? Worth the 85$? And if anyone have any ideas on what to do with this bass, please share! :)
  2. Daedraziel

Daedraziel Supporting Member

totally worth the 85 bucks. id say get it playable with a good setup and make it a cosmetic project...ie..strip it/scuff it/paint it... i like the diamond plate pickguard...would like nice on a satin black finish!
  3. ack

ack Supporting Member

I love rescue work. Good luck.
  4. Mike M.

Mike M.

For that price I'd say it was worth a shot. First, I'd definatley do all I could to get it to a playable condition before I'd take on the rest. I agree that a black finish would look great with that pickguard.

Good luck!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Interius

Interius

Yeah, I figured as much. Seems I've made a bargain! Although I agree that it would look good in black, I already have one black bass, and I'm thinking of expanding my color-range a bit. :p
  7. obsidion12

obsidion12

Heck yes it's worth it. Hopefully all it needs is some love. Get it set up by a pro and allow it to wear its scars. As long as the neck is straight, you've got yourself a functioning bass cheaper than I've ever known. If the neck is screwed for any reason then you've got a great rock'n' roll ornament to hang in your house / shed.
  8. Interius

Interius

The neck looks like it's a bit curved.. Doesn't look too bad, actually! I'll take it in to my local repairman to get a full evaluation as soon as I can.
  9. lachie_barlinh

lachie_barlinh

hey guys im New to talkbass and I recently bought a bass with a 50's road worn body in fiesta red that had been finished in black matt 2 pack paint and I was wondering if it were at all possible to get the Refin off without disturbing the original and beautiful fiesta finish
  10. Interius

Interius

Welcome to TB! I think you're in the wrong thread, man. Enjoy your stay! :)
  11. Interius

Interius

[​IMG]

.. it seems that this has been done with a soldering iron.
  12. SidMau

SidMau

Pickup mojo. Cool.
  13. Interius

Interius

Gotta love the rust on the pickups! :D
  14. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother. Supporting Member

Nice! It has personality.
  15. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

Potential here.

At the very least you've got the body, pickup and hardware for a re-build, so the worst-case scenario is sourcing a replacement neck. I would've bought the bass. It has potential.

Slightly regretting not picking up a rather nice SX P-bass yesterday for £89. I'm going to live vicariously instead!
  16. Bongolation

Bongolation

This is one of the stranger things I've seen on TalkBass.

It seems pretty obvious that this was intentionally vandalized and I'd love to know the story. These are virtually indestructible instruments, but it looks like someone was pretty determined to test that point. :eek:

I'm a great fan of these basses. Unless the intentional damage is more far-ranging than it looks, I'd have this squared away and gigworthy with a couple of hours of bench time, tops.

My own inclination would be to pull off the stickers, set it up and leave it the way it is. Refinishing instruments is to my mind almost always a bad mistake, even given the atrocious colors of the S.U.B. line and this one's condition.
  17. Lo-E

Lo-E

Totally worth it. Even if the neck isn't repairable you could put a Status neck on there and end up with a monster for less than the cost of a Stingray.
  18. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Rustoleum textured paint will do a decent job of copying the original finish - and they have a few different colors to choose from... As long as the neck isn't screwed up, and everything works electronically, I'd say you could make a very nice bass out of it, and got a killer deal...

- georgestrings
  19. obsidion12

obsidion12

I bought a fretless 1979 Ibanez Musician bass off of ebay for $400. My band mate has had the guitar version for as long as I'd known him and so I knew what it was - woods, build quality etc.

It had some pretty heavy non reversible mods - which I won't go into to save this being a novel (happy to elaborate if any one is interested).

But the metal back plate takes the cake. It has a once pretty engraving pledging a sweet dedication, dated 1986, to a George from a name I can't quite make out because of a second, not so pretty message scratched over the top reading "**** you and your **** lies".

Now THERE's a story! The guy I bought it from told me it was there when he got it so no enlightenment there - I don't think I'd really want to know. I'd post up a picture - but I it'd be against the rules.

On a side note I bought it knowing it would need work but the owner assured me the neck was straight and it played great. Turns out it does play great and it has such a warm, sweet tone I've left it as is.
  20. Interius

Interius

Yeah, someone really made an effort to mess with this bass. Didn't get any specific information from the guy I bought it from, apart from what kind of band it had been used in, and that the previous owner before him was the one who did it.
  21. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

What's wrong with the neck and electronics??? - maybe we can help you get it fixed up on the cheap... IME, those necks are pretty well made and durable - so are the electronics...

- georgestrings