NBD: a P bass I can use... Samick MCR content.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars
    I've been a fan of these for a while now but never made the leap. One turned up this weekend and I jumped on it.

[​IMG]

Samick Greg Bennett Corsair MCR-1 mini bass. Even the name is bigger than the bass.
    :D

It's a mini bass that sounds full sized. 24" scale, practically weightless (imagine a heavy fly-swatter), even got a Protech gigbag for it that looks like a custom fit (it's their 1/2 Acoustic bag). This thing is a hoot; roll off the treble and it has a surprisingly deep tone, deeper than most full-sized fours. Bring the treble up and it does an equally surprising old school P bass fingerstyle and slap thing. The kicker: I can do ridiculous bends and stretches on this thing... going up a fourth is a piece of cake AND it stays in tune. Needless to say I can do some seven or eight fret stretches with it. And FAST. I checked it out this last time through an Ampeg 210 combo with effects in a store and everyone who walked by did a double take. Way too much fun. I plan on gigging with it.

I've mentioned before that contrary to conventional wisdom, despite being predominantly a six string player, I tend to wank more (when I wank) on fours. This four just ramps that up to a silly degree so I'll likely need to exercise restraint.

The same store had four Kala Uke basses; a solid body and three hollowbodies. They sounded cool, this bass just grabbed me. Now if only Samick offered this in a five...

hint hint

I took it to the Brubaker shop yesterday and Kevin was equally impressed... so of course we spitballed about a short-short scale KXB- or NBS-6. Or doing a preamp and a pair of 59J's in this bass. Nah... it's great as-is.

So here's an inexpensive bass (around $150 new IIRC, I got mine used in like new condition) that's a ton of fun. If you're in the market heck, even if you aren't, you should put your hands on one of these. Might surprise ya. Like I said, I've been a fan for a while now, glad I finally got one.
    :cool

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. PWRL

PWRL

That looks pretty hip. Congratulations. Way to keep it as-is.
  3. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

That's awesome! I've wondered about those... enjoy! I hope we can see/hear some clips of it some time. :)
  4. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

I played one of those. Looked goofy as all get-out on me, but it sounded pretty good.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    I used to have one. I miss it. It's a great little bass.

What kind of strings are you using on it?
  7. Brad Johnson

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars
    I don't know. It has roundwounds of an unknown variety on it. Seem about medium light gauge. I should probably check the gauges with a caliper so I have an idea if I change the strings.

This little sucker thumps.
  8. Brad Johnson

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars
    I'm 6'2"... pretty sure it looks goofy as heck on me. I don't care. Probably not much goofier than a mandolin on me.
  9. Brad Johnson

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars
    Yeah, I didn't want people thinking it did what it did because I modded it.
  10. ntenny

ntenny

You need to work with a guitarist who has one of those miniature Flying Vs.

-NT
  11. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Sweet 3/4. I bet its got the same pickups my old Samick knockoff had it in it. Loved that thing, wish I never sold it, it was a genuine gigging thumper. Love Samicks but they seem to be harder to find, unless you get a Samick built Squier. ;)
  12. JvN

JvN

As far as I know, it's a 1/2 and not a 3/4. That is what makes this mini bass so unique. I'm contemplating buying one for my 4 year old daughter at the moment, who of course prefers it in pink or blue, but still - it appears to be the only half scale on the market today and I hear nothing but good things about it.
  13. JvN

JvN

Well - her birthday was yesterday, so here Josephine is exploring the fretboard of her brand new candy apple red Mini Corsair. Lovely bass, incredible sound, very nicely built. She's still very determined to play every day. And daddy's going to borrow it whenever he can :bassist: ! Excellent instrument design by Greg Bennett, and even though it was made in Indonesia and the price is ridiculously low, the quality is amazing. Happy!

Attached Files:

14. plong123

plong123 All Your Bass Are Belong To Us Supporting Member

I did a search for it and found this video of a demo, in case anyone wanted to see it in action. Looks pretty impressive.

http://shelf3d.com/Videos/SyIUUIKK5oc

Would you mind spilling the beans about where you picked it up?
  15. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded

thats adorable and incredibly cool! 4 years old and shes playing through a better rig than I ever did!

rock on, dad
  16. tink9975

tink9975 Supporting Member

very cool, which store did you find it in?
  17. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I have the same bass! I must say that it is a great little player with a very good sound. Nicely made and very portable.

My only concern has been about replacing the strings! Where can you get 24" scale strings? I wrote to Samick several times with no reply at all.

Fortunately (or unbelievably) - someone had an old old package of LaBella Flats for sale that seem to be made for this scale - so I snapped them up - and now it is perfect. I don't know what I would do if one were to break though.
  18. PhilUSAFRet

PhilUSAFRet

I just picked up one of those little basses online, slightly used, at a great price ($114 shipped). Not easy to find one. I queried D'Addario about strings. The ones they recommended are the EXL 160S BRIGHT Round Wound nickel wounds, .050 - .070 - .085 - .105 Short Scale. Have them right here, just haven't installed them yet. I am eager for any and all info about this little bass as I am a beginner. Got a Peavey BA112 for $65 in perfect shape. Now all I have to do is learn to play it. Wish I still had the vintage Musicmaster I tried to learn on 7 or 8 years ago and sold too cheap to a friend of my Son. Oh, and I bought it as an alternative to a Kala UBass as it's only two inches longer than one.
  19. PhilUSAFRet

PhilUSAFRet

Wish I"d have discovered that gig bag before I bought a crappy, oversized Gator for it.
  20. Brad Johnson

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars
    I still use mine often... very handy for doing charts with a computer keyboard in my lap.

I love the way it sounds with rounds but it might be pretty cool with flats.
  21. JvN

JvN