1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD - A Thor for my (Tone) Hammer...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IntrepidCellist, Jan 26, 2014.

1. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

A couple days ago, a large box showed up at my office.

Inside, was a case that had clearly seen better days...

[​IMG]

What's inside, you ask? :bassist:

[​IMG]

THOR SOUND (and '70s-style brass nut)

[​IMG]

Some nicely figured wood on the body, and the rosewood board (I think it's rosewood) is incredibly dark.

[​IMG]

Narrow-spaced bridge for maximum fingerstyle/pickstyle speed. This thing is in INCREDIBLE shape for an almost thirty-year-old bass.

[​IMG]

Single Aria humbucker in the P-bass position. Sounds. . . like a P-bass, with a little more top end and upper mids and a little thumpier in the low mids, probably due to the 32" scale.

[​IMG]

It's got a huge neck. Wide nut, deep profile. I almost didn't keep it due to the neck profile as it's so different from the tiny necks on my Kubicki and Dingwall, but I took it to rehearsal and it played and felt great.

[​IMG]

Plays really really quickly. The combination of short scale and narrow string spacing makes it really easy to fly on this neck. A slightly smaller neck profile would be nice, but isn't necessary.

[​IMG]

This is also far and away the lightest TSB I've ever heard of or played. Usually they're in the 9-11 pound range, but this is a very reasonable ~7 pounds, so it's comfortable to wear for three straight hours of rehearsal!
  2. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Gorgeous! Love the natural finish.
  3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

That is the twin of the one that I own.
  4. Basshappi

Basshappi

Oh my!
    That looks fantastic, go forth and summon the thunder! :bassist:
  5. Sartori

Sartori

That's an awesome looking bass. I bet it sounds great, too. Pickup position actually looks a little closer to the bridge than a regular P-bass, more like the Rickenbacker pickup position. I've been kinda interested in checking one of those basses out for that reason. Lovely wood grain on that one.

Congrats.
  6. IntrepidCellist

Yeah, it's also kind of close to the 'Ray pickup position. Sounds more like an extra-grindy P to me. If you want to go really Ric-like, keep an eye out for a TSB-650, which has a neck pickup that's pretty close to the neck and a bridge pickup a bit closer to the bridge.
  7. Sartori

Sartori

Well, when I play my Rickenbacker, I tend to only use the bridge pickup. So really I'm looking for a bass with THAT pickup position. Yes, I know I should really just save up for another Rickenbacker, but I like a variety of body styles.
  8. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Beautiful bass - I love that natural finish over woodgrain.
  9. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

I like it. Bet it sounds sweet in that location with the reverse p orientation too.
  10. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

fingerboard looks like ebony to me.
  11. IntrepidCellist

That's probably the poor lighting, haha. It's definitely rosewood, with open pores.
  12. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Is the body oak?
  13. woodyng

woodyng

Beautiful bass,Congrats!
  14. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Man what a great bass I've always had a fondness for these basses they are so well made and sound great.
  15. IntrepidCellist

I think so... I've seen the term "Japanese Oak" thrown about in regard to these.

Which explains the weight on most of them; this one is shockingly light.
  16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Very nice looking bass. It's in great shape. Glad it's working out for you.