1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD: Agile Argus 630

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound

So I just got this Agile Argus 630. Previous owner upgraded the pickups to a Dimarzio Chopper in the bridge, and GFS dual blade pickups in the middle and neck positions. I like the fact that they are hum-cancelling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, I'm trying to remember why I wanted a Bass VI. It's... OK, everything works as it should, and it makes a decent short-scale bass. It has the D'Addario EXL156 .024-.084, on it, and they seem alright. I know I was thinking I could do some chordal things with it in addition to playing bass lines, but so far it's got me flummoxed. I'm going to try some sounds on my Pod X3 and see what happens.

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Now you can play Back In the Saddle by Aerosmith & totally cop that bass tone.

Congrats. It looks pretty cool.

3. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

4. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Could it work as a main bass?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Flatwound

Flatwound

IMO, yes. Jack Bruce used a Fender Bass VI for most of Fresh Cream, and Steve Kilbey (The Church) has used one quite a bit. I'm going to try mine at church practice this morning, although I probably won't use it in the service this time.

I've seen recommendations to use the La Bella strings, either round or flat. The white nylon tapewounds look very intriguing. I'll probably keep the current D'Addarios on it until they die.

This would probably be an awesome instrument to use with a POG and a looper.

7. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Great, thanks! Looking forward to updates.

8. Flatwound

Flatwound

OK, here's the latest. I tried it through my bass amp at church yesterday, and I think it would be adequate with a bit of bass boost. However, for me it wouldn't work as well as a "normal" bass. I'm used to bass string spacing, active electronics, and so on. Like most bass players, I've developed my own preferences in electronics, strings, etc., so I can get the sounds I'm looking for. A Bass VI can make low sounds, but for me, it would be a "special purpose" instrument.

I still have some experimentation to do to see if I really have a use for it.

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Add a second course of strings and then have a baritone 12 string...