NBD: Am Standard Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bemis, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Bemis

Bemis

Woke up with more GAS this morning than usual. Drove north of my house to take a look at a new music shop that opened a month or so ago trying to hunt down an Am Standard Jazz. They were catering more toward outlet crowds and just had some unbranded low end basses.

Decided to drive into town (Athens, GA) to the last local music shop left. They had an Am Standard Jazz that had been hanging up since 2012 and looked like someone ate pizza off it, strings felt horrible and the A string buzzed like crazy. I asked if they could order the bass I was looking for and the salesman said they'd rather move what they have in stock then to order more stuff. I told him, it's a guaranteed sale and I'd agree to pay half up front. He insisted he could make a deal on the one hanging up and would knock $100 off. Then I'd be stuck with a color I wasn't interested in and have to get a new nut cut. No thanks. :(

I realized the day was still early and I was up for the hour plus drive in to Atlanta. There was a music shop I'd never been able to find and this time I was armed with satellite guidance. :help: The store was amazing, covered with guitars and quite a good selection of basses. Still couldn't find exactly what I wanted but was able to check out some great tube bass amps (caused more GAS just a different kind lol).

Since I'd burned the gas and time, I figured I go over and visit the shop I purchased my Am Std P from just to see what they had up. This place is nice because the guy in the bass dept knows me. He comes over asks my how things have been, what I'm looking for etc. I give him the exact description and he tells me they got one in on Thursday and he'd go grab it. Tuned it up and it played like butter. Ring me up! Quickest bass he's ever flipped and I'm a happy guy!

:hyper:

I can't squeeze a bad note out of her.

:bassist:

Obligatory cellphone pic:

[​IMG]

Sometimes you just gotta keep searching to cure your GAS. :D

2. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog Supporting Member

Very nice, congrats. Sounds like a fun day!

Bemis likes this.
  3. bobalu

bobalu

That is my favorite color combo on a Fender bass. My Am. Standard P bass is exactly the same, although I didn't have to go through quite the search and journey that you went on!

Enjoy!

Bemis likes this.
  4. 1960jbass

1960jbass

Absolute beauty!! You're a lucky fellow!!

Bemis likes this.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Righteous Thunderer

Righteous Thunderer

Nice bass!

I was in GA for a little over 8 years, and I have to say, if you haven't been to the Atlanta Bass Gallery, you're missing out.

Bemis likes this.
  7. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

All hail the Great White (bass) Hunter! :D

Bemis likes this.
  8. Bemis

Bemis

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. She was worth the adventure!

Yes! I've been there a few times. They are in the process of moving and I think the shop just opened back up. The web site says to bear with them a bit, so I figured I'd let them get settled in.

9. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Awesome bass, what colour combo was the first one you tried out? And was this the one you were after?

Bemis likes this.
  10. Bemis

Bemis

First one was sunburst with a maple neck. And yes this is the exact one I was looking to purchase. My P is a sunburst with rosewood and while it's quite amazing, I wanted something different for this one.

Just played it for about an hour and a half through my PF800 into two 4x10s and I'm pleased with how how great the pickups sound. I figured I would find a sound with one pickup or the other rolled off a bit, but both of them together with the tone knob rolled back just slightly sounds quite amazing.

11. bobalu

bobalu

"Decided to drive into town (Athens, GA) to the last local music shop left".

Meant to ask, weren't the B-52's from Athens?

Bemis likes this.
  12. Bemis

Bemis

Yep! Quite a few bands from here, R.E.M. comes to mind. I used to rent an apartment owned by Mike Mills, R.E.M.s bass player.

13. faulknersj

faulknersj Gold Supporting Member

That is a beautiful bass man!!! Enjoy your journeys together!

Bemis likes this.
  14. jim nolte

jim nolte

Beautiful looking bass! Did Fender change the case for the American Standard series? Yours looks more vintage than the ones I've seen. Jim

Bemis likes this.
  15. Bemis

Bemis

Yeah, best info I can find is it's a new case for end of 2013 or early 2014.

Both open:
    [​IMG]

Both closed:
    [​IMG]

Standing:
    [​IMG]

New case's logo:
    [​IMG]