1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD and a lesson learned

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FloridaTim, Jun 27, 2013.

1. FloridaTim

FloridaTim

Started off several months ago on a cheap "Bass In a Box", so when I got a 1987 Peavey Fury about a month ago I was very pleased to say the least. It came with flat wounds and has P style pickups. The sound is very mellow and smooth and I got used to that. When I tried to adjust the treble and sharpen up the sound it just didn't sound right to me

Last night I got my 1992 Peavey Foundation with 2 Super Ferrite pickups. It was set up terrible and was in desperate need of new stings. So I left it alone for the night. Took it in this morning for the set up and figured if I had 2 basses, I should make them sound as different as possible and told him to put round wounds on it.

I just got home and took it out. BOY DO THESE BASSES SOUND DIFFERENT. It turns out I DO like sharp sounding bass notes. I just needed the right bass for the job. Playing Ghost Riders In The Sky on this guitar, and with a pick, is sounding like a completely different song.

Gotta go. Lots of playing around to do.

2. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

Congrats on the bass and the discovery. I have always liked a sharp attacking sound, which is why I always play round wounds with a pick. Flat wounds have never been my thing. They are just to flat sounding.