1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD and a lesson learned

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FloridaTim, Jun 27, 2013.

1. FloridaTim

FloridaTim

Started off several months ago on a cheap "Bass In a Box", so when I got a 1987 Peavey Fury about a month ago I was very pleased to say the least. It came with flat wounds and has P style pickups. The sound is very mellow and smooth and I got used to that. When I tried to adjust the treble and sharpen up the sound it just didn't sound right to me

Last night I got my 1992 Peavey Foundation with 2 Super Ferrite pickups. It was set up terrible and was in desperate need of new stings. So I left it alone for the night. Took it in this morning for the set up and figured if I had 2 basses, I should make them sound as different as possible and told him to put round wounds on it.

I just got home and took it out. BOY DO THESE BASSES SOUND DIFFERENT. It turns out I DO like sharp sounding bass notes. I just needed the right bass for the job. Playing Ghost Riders In The Sky on this guitar, and with a pick, is sounding like a completely different song.

Gotta go. Lots of playing around to do.
  2. msact

msact Supporting Member

Congrats on the bass and the discovery. I have always liked a sharp attacking sound, which is why I always play round wounds with a pick. Flat wounds have never been my thing. They are just to flat sounding.