1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD... Another cheap CL score? Or wood for fireplace?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dkelley, Jul 12, 2013.

1. dkelley

dkelley

Will post pics soon. a "found this in the basement" instrument. With an ancient hard shell case.

My quick 1st and 13th fret hold didn't show a giant bow or anything, and it turned out to be fully adjustable and easily setup.

But it's pretty, active, solid brand.

I SO don't need/want another bass though - have too many.

Once I get this setup well I'll put it for sale at a fair price. Let's hope it's a diamond in the rough!

Note: I'm not posting it as for sale here now... Just stating what my plans are as opposed to keeping it.
  2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Check neck warp by holding the string down at the first and last fret and sighting along the fingerboard. Both sides.

In that this thing was put away with ~275# of tension on it back in the late Bronze Age, I'm guessing there's a massive warp somewhere, perhaps in the pocket itself, as this looks like a thin body.

Asymmetrical pockets (and I'm guessing this has one) are a huge PITA to shim, requiring cutting a full-pocket shim...but you may save this one.

Good luck!
  3. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

You might want to pay for a SUPPORTING MEMBERSHIP first. You can't sell anything here without it.
  4. dkelley

dkelley

Yea I know... That's why I clearly stated what I said since I know this forum had that special rule that I haven't come across elsewhere. If I were to offer it on here I'd pay first of course.

I tripped that wire in the past here by accident since I'm used to selling gear differently on other sites. Oops!

:)
  5. dkelley

dkelley

Thank you! I'm out of town for a few days but will forward to the project when I return.
  6. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

I don't know that testing at the first and 13th fret is going to tell you the whole story on neck relief.

how much relief do you see if you fret at the first fret and say the 19th or 20th on the B string side? (what bongolation said)

if there's not much relief and the saddles are already set low, then you will probably need to shim the neck (like you said). if you're knowledgeable with working with shims to create neck angle you can probably get that thing playing nice assuming there's no twist in the neck and the truss rod still works well.