NBD..B stock...Fail!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickster4003, Jan 25, 2014.

1. rickster4003

rickster4003

Hi all,

Ordered and recieved a Squier jazz fretless. The action had to be close to almost an inch. Adjusted truss rod to max, only took action about half way. Contacted dealer and was instructed to take to Fender dealer (which was GC). They found it to be defective. They contacted Fender, which was fine with the replacement but, it will be 4 to 5 months since they are out of stock. They were kind enough to offer any Squier I wanted in the same price range, but the whole point was to get a fretless. Recontacted dealer, said they were also out but would check around. So still waiting on my x-mas present.

I was wondering if the "washer" trick might work and give the truss rod some more thread to do its' thing.

When I bought it , I was under the impression B stock was more of a finish problem, or used and so forth. This bass was awesome looking and I could find no flaws (other than the neck). This bass is completely unplayable in its current condition.
  2. MrTaff

MrTaff

B stock is usually finish problems in my experience but you'll always get a few lemons with any manufacturer, although it's not uncommon to find the truss rod almost maxed out on Fender/Squier basses.
  3. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Baloney.
  4. MrTaff

MrTaff

Rubbish, you just need to search on here to see it's not an uncommon problem.
  5. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

I'm not quite getting how high action is a manufacturing defect.
  6. Salamenster

Salamenster

Induction is your enemy.
  7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I did a search and got a bunch of hits, but nothing I wouldn't expect considering the amount of instruments they've made and sold; there were more hits with Peavey, more than half as many Fender, and almost twice as many Dean.

I provided support for a company that was concerned because twice as many Seagate drives failed than any other brand we had. The face that the vast majority of our drives, around 90%, were Seagates had no effect on their decision to stop buying Seagates. It's all a matter of perspective.

So Squier sells a ton of instruments every day, and out of that ton a good portion of them go to new players who don't know any better. They get left in trunks, cold attics/basements, spend years unstrung or who knows what, and the bulk of which are almost certainly not professionally setup.

Now tell me again how Squiers have a truss rod problem.
  8. Nobody

Nobody

Fenders/Squiers don't have any problems, it's a talkbass rule.
  9. Webtroll

Never implied otherwise, but there's a few people here who like to single them out for abuse then make comments like that when proven wrong. Squier is as bad and as good as other mass manufactured cheap basses in the same price range, the differences are largely style and options.
  10. mcnach

mcnach

So eloquently put. +1
  11. Webtroll

aside from I type the face instead of the fact :p
  12. elBandito

elBandito

Why not get a refund?
  13. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Some posts on one forum is hardly a consensus. Basing your conclusion on such a meager sample is what's rubbish.
  14. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

Bad ones get through with every big manufacturer. I have learned from hard experience that if a bass comes to you that is bad/unplayable, do NOT try and fix it. You shouldn't have to, and it will likely violate the warranty. If it is bad now, down the road you may end up with a linear foot of washers sticking out of the headstock to make it work.

Send it back. Or look at other models of fretless. I think Ibanez makes some in that range.
  15. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Yes, would not recommend trying to fix it- just return it and perhaps get a refund. You might be able to find one elsewhere.
    Trying to fix it should only be considered if you bought it used and there's no return policy- as in you should only consider it as a last resort, if you can return it, highly advise to do so.
    Check out your local CL postings too, you might find a used fretless within your price range. There's a MIM Fender Jazz Bass fretless going for the same price as the Squier fretless where I live.
    Heck, even GC has some Squier fretless used. Just pay $20 shipping to your door. $199 +20
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-SQUIER-FRETLESS-J-BASS-109630468-i3564172.gc
  16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Don't sweat it OP, you probably couldn't play it with an action that low anyways. Every VM fretless I have seen does not have the neck radiused after installing the fretlines, so you essentially get little plastic frets all the way up the neck making any kind of decent setup impossible. I would never buy one sight unseen and constantly repeat this advice.
  17. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

I trust you adjusted the saddle heights as well, and maybe tried shimming the neck, before you sent it back?
  18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

There are numerous threads started about "lousy set up", or 'defective' basses. It's also understandable as who doesn't anxiously await an instrument when ordered?

I can appreciate ones disappointment when something 'new' has to be returned or repaired.

Folks that have working instruments rarely start threads about how satisfied they are with their basses initial setup.

They'll post an NBD, or chime in on other threads.
  19. rickster4003

rickster4003

Yes, very true - it's just the tinkerer in me - I like trying to fix things. It's kind of like a challenge to beat.

It's kind of sad though, if I use the warranty and get a new one, Fender wants the intrument destroyed. All it needs is a new neck, I'm wondering if the ebanol fretless from might mite would work. Hate to see a perfectly fine body ending up in the dumpster.