NBD: BEST DEAL on MIA P Bass I've ever found

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by starmann, Jan 21, 2013.

1. starmann

starmann Flats and Fingers Supporting Member

I am a P Bass fan and have more than I should. I came across this piece on this board.

Although I usually deal with GCs sister, Musicians Friend this was only available at GC.

Since I wanted a new one I ordered from the website. It came in a perfect stapled box and was never opened, good work GC.

I must say this is a killer bass at an absurd price.

If you are a P bass man, like me you might want to consider this. A stained honeyburst.

Quality is top rate and has a GREAT MIA satin backed neck.

I've already made it mine with Flats, Chrome/Brass Thumbrest and a Tort guard.

A 2012 MIA P bass for $700, unreal.

What do you all think? The back in person appears to be one piece body. Others have said they have seen bodies with as many as four pieces.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  2. ale29

ale29

The body appears to be 3 pieces to me.
    Great bass nonetheless
  3. ma4rk

ma4rk

4. starmann

If it's a three piece'r, its the nicest match of different grain I have seen.

Definitely a keeper.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

Yep, there are 4 or 5 of us now who grabbed these "Honeys". I haven't played my 62 or 57 since I bought this bass back in December. I absolutely LOVE mine!

Congrats!!!
  7. R&B

R&B Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

Congrats!! Nice score!

After visiting a few locations and looking at the honeyburst basses in person, I gave up on GC and went with the TB Classifieds where I found my one-of-a-kind natural finish P.

The "good ones" in this American Special series are an absurdly great deal and it looks like one found you. Bravo!
  8. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

Looks like a 3 piece American Special series.
    Pretty.
  9. Turtle71

Turtle71 Supporting Member

What a great looking bass!! :bassist:

I've really been fighting the urge to buy one of those...I may lose this battle :ninja: ....especially since the sale ends next week...

I love the tort guard, though everyone I've seen comes "stock" with a parchment guard, did you add the tort guard?
  10. starmann

Thanks all. And yes, I added the tort guard...Wht. was standard.
  11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Looks three-piece to me.

There aren't and never have been one-piece production Fenders.

FMIC says never in the entire history of the company.
  12. tinman 1967

tinman 1967 Supporting Member

I played that bass when it was first introduced a few months back and loved it. I think it was $899 . Every time I get into the GC (about 2 minutes from work) I look for one to fiddle about with. They seem to get snapped up pretty quickly, as they are always different ones on the floor. I love it. Seems very light and the neck is to die for. So..... At $699 plus tax, no case, I just cant help wondering if it would be worth it to spend a few hundred more and get the American standard. Im not a Fender guy, at least I dont own one. How do the 2 vary? Somebody make up my mind for me here. There are no Standards there for me to compare this too. These honeys are great instruments IMHO.
  13. portlandguy

portlandguy

Go with the Am Standard,
  14. starmann

Most of mine are American standards...The main difference is the bridge. On the Special it is not body through but for me with flats that is OK. In addition, the tuners are a bit more old school but not poor quality.

With Am Std. you do get the hardshell case and the special comes with a gig bag. Not a deal breaker for me as I have a load of cases.

And the biggest factor is this finish is not available. And at best you may pick up an Am Std. for about $975 if you get 20% off the price.

Either way both are EQUAL in Playability.
  15. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I like your choice. Sets off that honey finish nicely, and makes a good contrast with the maple board too.
  16. Bongolation

Bongolation

The recent GC sale instrument was a special run that had a downgraded matte finish. What (if any) other changes from the regular American Special there were I don't know.

The American Standard has a different neck profile and a ton of other differences in 2012. You should really check out the Fender site as it's too long to enumerate here.

The thing is that most of the differences to me are negatives with the American Standards, with the sole exception of the new 2012 pickups (though there's nothing wrong with the 61276/7 set on the American Special). I don't like the bridge, the machines, the finish or the case on the American Standards, so paying extra for those wouldn't make sense for me. I think there are some undocumented changes on the post-2012 production, but I'm not positive.
  17. R&B

R&B Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

One thing to note, which was a surprise to me...if you like natural finishes and happen to be comparing this FSR American Special in honeyburst with the FSR American Standard in ash with amber stain (also a matte finish)...the FSR Am Std does not have the Custom Shop pickup that was introduced in 2012 on the regular Am Std line. And it is very very orange, at least the one that I briefly brought home and then returned. Shoulda woulda coulda bought the honey, because the nicest one was gone when I went back.

Found a cool alternative...pics are on the Atkinson Club thread...but guys, this honey is a really nice/light/resonant MIA Fender at a great price, as the OP states. And I love the tort! ;)
  18. exidor

exidor

I picked one up last weak for the same price call me crazy but I like the AM P special better than the AM standard but the standard comes with a great case.great choice starmann!
    hears mine I changed the bridge and tuners
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. jlepre

jlepre

What's wrong with a 3 piece body? Many times a 3 piece is better than a one piece as it makes a stronger body. Sometimes a single piece of wood can be less solid than 3 GOOD pieces of wood.
  20. Bongolation

Bongolation

Someone mentioned that recently (and was pretty bent about it!), but I thought we were referring to the regular American Standards.
  21. meatwad

meatwad

OP's new bass with these upgrades would be perfect!