1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD Birth year bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hopkins, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Ive been looking for a bass made in 1981 which is the year I was made. I have also been looking for a T-40 so I killed two birds with one stone. I won this bass on ebay for a steal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bad,

I got a loose connection somewhere in the bridge pickup circuit, should be an easy fix, and no surprising on a 32 year old bass. Its also missing a couple pick guard screws, also no big deal.

The worst part is that the bass and especially the original hard case it came in straight up STANKS, the previous owner must have been a heavy smoker, as soon as I opened the case it made my eyes water and stunk up my whole apartment. I'm thinking about spraying the case down with Fabreze, and closing it up with one of those little tree air fresheners. Then letting it air out out side for a day.
  2. Bill Whitehurst

Bill Whitehurst

Nice bass.
    I wish i could get a birth year bass, but they only made a few '51s
    and I can afford any of them.
    I think you are on the right track on the Febreeze and air freshener.
  3. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

It's gonna be tough to get the smell out - especially from the case. Fabreeze may help. Putting it in direct sunlight may also help.

I'd like a birth year bass, but '66s are a little expensive.
  4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Seriously, I would hate to visit the previous owners house. I don't now how bad his house would have to smell to make the bass and case smell so bad.
  5. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Fabreze the case inside and go crazy with Windex on the outside of me case. Also clean off the bass really good a few times. No amount of Fabreeze is too much IME.

That should do it. Helps if you can leave the case open outside or in a garage too.

My 1974 P was like that. Now it smells like flowers, a sunny meadow......;)
  6. Craig T Vector

Craig T Vector Supporting Member

Put charcoal in a small box, then poke some holes in the top of the box. It will absorb most of that stink. Good trick that works with cars that have been smoked in as well.

Enjoy the T-40! It's a beast.