NBD: Bought to Mod

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ejaggers, Mar 10, 2014.

1. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

I picked up a NIB EBO today and got one heck of a deal. Does anyone know how to date these? Is it in the serial number?
    I'm assuming that since the number starts out 1310, that it's a 2013 model.

This makes my forth short scale, and I'm looking forward to adding a second pup.
    Any suggestions on which pup to use?

[​IMG]

2. gary m

gary m

Hm...either a chrome Tbird or second Mudbucker. Or maybe a pair of Darkstars to get that Starfire sound.
  3. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Dark star fo shizzle.
  4. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

5. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

I actually prefer these with just a Di Marzio Model 1 in the stock position and a Hipshot Supertone bridge . I may add a pull volume switch and wire the pickup series / parallel . Mine sounds great as is.
  6. ejaggers

Gary, Simon, and TN thanks for your suggestions.

I've been talking to John Benson about a custom Darkstar. I had him make a musicmaster pup for my tricked out bronco, and I was really pleased, so I'm hoping he will consider a DS. Curtis Novak's DS is to pricey for such a cheap bass.

TN, I'm looking for something for the bridge position.
  7. ejaggers

No more suggestion??? Come on TBers!!!! Weekend crew are you listening???

Looking for a bridge pup that won't break the bank...
  8. IPA

IPA

The Model One is nice. If I found one of those EB0s in a pawn shop or something I would definitely grab it and put the Model One in there.
  9. Immigrant

Immigrant

I can't help you with a specific brand, but I can supply a photo of what you may envision:

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1394914114.807494.jpg

I bought the bass already modded for my son on EvilBay and have no idea what it is, but it does make it sound better.
  10. ejaggers

First off, thanks for responding!!!

I could see putting an model one at the neck, but I'm talking about the bridge. Did U mean put it at the bridge?

Yeah, that's what I'm going with unless I can get some better ideas. That look like the minibucker that allparts sells.
  11. IPA

IPA

Oops, yeah I did mean the neck. My reading... not so good today :oops:
  12. garp

garp

No suggestions. I just love the “Bought to Mod” thread title. It’s kinda like “Born to Kick Arse” or something like that...no matter how this mod turns out, it’s what I intended...so there.
  13. ejaggers

Yeah, I've gotten to old to rip and run down the road as a full time musician, and to tired for some of the BS that you run into dealing with club owners and promoters. So to keep me happy I've taken up modding. But I must admit, that I'd like to get back out there again some day part time.

I went to GC today and played a Gibson EB3 that was very sweet. It was wired like a Jazz. V/V/T with no 3 way switch. That's the first one I've seen like that.
  14. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

I feel like I have read about people putting the Seynour duncan Ric pickups (neck i think) in the bridge of their SG basses with good results. Certainly would not break the bank, and might be worth looking into. As for wiring, I would probably go vbt or vvt. 2v2t is too much for me, and vt and a 3-way isn't enough for me. Good luck on the mod!
  15. ejaggers

Thanks for the tip. Those are about $100....The one from allparts is $35......Filtertron is about $80, and I believe this is what is being used in the RI Coronado II. Unfortunately I haven't heard any of them.
  16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

SG modded bass in progress ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. rfslick

rfslick

I used to have an EB1 I think it was. 335 body, one pickup Gibson. I put an EB 3 bridge pickup in the neck position and it sounded fantastic. Changed it back when I sold the bass. Another mistake, that bass would be worth a ton today.
    Gibson posts their Serial numbers on their web site. Probably have Epiphone as well.
  19. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

As stated before I like the Di Marzio Model 1 in the neck position. I think placing another in the bridge would be cool , if wanting to add a bridge pickup . I would then utilize the coil tapping ability with pull volume pots or mini toggles if you prefer .

I saw a Gibson SG in worn brown with 2 model 1 s on Low End 's site a couple years back but was sold by the time I went to check it out .
  20. swift1894

swift1894

Think that would have been an EB2. The EB1 is the violin shaped body.