1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD: Bromberg B25SF

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by unclejane, Jun 25, 2013.

1. unclejane

unclejane Guest

I got the Bromberg 5 string in this afternoon. Pics are attached.

The only issue, as pictured, is the busted wood on the upper horn. This is shipping damage, since I found the piece inside the case the horn was smashed up against in transport - it was displaced forward, so this was UPS's doing and of course not Carvin's.

However, the chances are about 98% at this point that I'm going to just keep it and repair this because I already want to keep it. This should be a reasonably easy fix and may even not look too bad when I'm done with it.
    Unless I find something else about it I don't like here pretty soon, this one's a keeper.

The bass itself is outstanding. This one has the 5 piece maple neck and unlined board. Zero other options - this has to be the most plainiest janiest blandest Bromberg 5 Carvin was ever forced to manufacture. But look at it, it's practically a boutique, even in the most basic form. That's what I love about Carvin's zero option basic models.

Other highlights so far:
    - the radiused humbuckers are a true winner. They really do have a very even sound due to the radiusing. The B string is only a hair bit louder than the others, not 889 db louder like on my Bunny 6.
    - the tone of these PU's is almost identical to my Bunny, but with a little less output and a hair bit less heft to it. The Icon is probably what it sounds the most like (what a coincidence due to the Icon electronics!). The strings are still new on it so it's going to sound kind of lousy for a while until they die.
    - the PU's do work in passive mode with no batteries. For some reason, I thought the Icon electronics needed the batts. Nice touch! I can run it in permanent passive mode if I want.
    - it really does balance perfectly on your leg just like B2 says! I have to repair the upper horn before trying it on the strap, so that'll be next after I fix that.
    - fingerboard is totally perfect like usual...
    - setup was pretty close like all carvins. It was basically playable out of the case. I did bring the nut slots and the action down some more, though, to suit my general preferences.

LS

Attached Files:

2. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Pic of the back....

LS

Attached Files:

3. tbone0813

tbone0813 Supporting Member

If I receive a damaged bass it is going back. Period.
  4. MysticMichael

MysticMichael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Not sure why you would prefer dead strings, or why you consider lively strings as "lousy". But I guess that's for another thread... :meh:

Nice choice. I love mine, which also has the GraphTech Ghost piezoelectric system, plus an epoxied fingerboard. i had an Audere 4-band preamp installed, and I've got it set up with light gauge DR FatBeams. Boy does that baby sing!

Enjoy...

MM
  5. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Well if I do that, it'll be another 2 months before I get the replacement and chances are UPS will smash that one up too, if not worse than they did this one.

This is the only damage on it, though, everything else is impeccable. So I can send it back and not have one for 2 more months, or I can repair this one and have a Bromberg configured exactly the way I want it.

I'm at about 99% on keeping it at this point, so only 1 more % to go. I'm playing my old standards on it right now to evaluate it. Ah, 5 is just the right number of strings....

LS
  6. unclejane

unclejane Guest

I just hate the clangy tone of new strings. They chorus and chorus and ringy ringy and make it impossible to intonate for a month lol. I just prefer the dead thump of worn in rounds.

But already I'm getting an idea of the tone. It's sound is less and less like the Bunnies now that I've done a setup and am starting to feel my way around it. It's kind of midway between my Bunny and a Jazz bass on the rear pickup. But like my Bunny, and unlike my Jazz, I can play it with a lighter touch and get a good pop.

The batteries have already fallen out of it... lol.... just like my other active basses, but the preamp is still magnificent just like the ones in my Bunnies. So it's there if I need it.

I'm glueing the upper horn back up and keeping this one. It's a good un.

LS
  7. dgce

dgce

Yeah, I have to second that. If you really love this bass, I wonder if Carvin would consider sending you something to compensate for the damage seeing as you're willing to repair it yourself.
  8. tbone0813

tbone0813 Supporting Member

Regardless I wouldn't be excepting a damaged bass even if it means a 2 month wait to get another one. Carvin basses like a lot of basses have a low resale value and damage just reduces that even more.
  9. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

+1 I would at least let them know so you can get some money for the repair they may be able to assist in the claim processing.
  10. dgce

dgce

One other thing, Uncle Jane; I have a B24S with humbuckers. I was told that the preamp was actually from the Icon after I bought it. However unlike the Icon, I heard our humbuckered B2s is always in active mode just like regular B2s with singles and the Bromberg preamp. So what's going on with your bass? How are you playing without batteries?
  11. dgce

dgce

Actually, I'm with you on that. But hey, if the man loves the bass...
  12. unclejane

unclejane Guest

I'm probably going to fix it before I get round to calling them anyway. As for resale, its worth matchsticks damaged or not. plain jane, Carvin and unlined FL, well you do the math lol.... resale isn't a concern for me.

I've already set it up and have been playing it for a while. So I'm just considering it "relicing" by (the satanic) UPS...

LS
  13. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Well it's just like my Bunnies. I pull up on the volume knob and it's in passive mode. I pulled the batts and it still works, so.... it may just stay that way the rest of its life lol....

I think it's just the single-coil option where B2 really went no-compromises on the preamp. He said to really get it the way he wanted it it has to be active all the time. But hey the way it sounds, that's a worthy sacrifice to have to keep batts in it...

LS
  14. dgce

dgce

Hold it! I thought Mr. B said the passive mode function was disabled on his humbucker equipped basses. That, in fact, you can't even pull up on the volume knob because its only a vol knob, not also a pull/push switch like on an Icon. But this is inacurate? So B2s with humbuckers are basically Icons (electronically speaking).

And to think I've been playing this bass for over a year and had no idea. I've gigged with 4 spare 9 volt batteries just in case because I was certain there was no passive mode. Doh.
  15. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Well pull up on your volume knob and see if it's switched. If so, pull the batts out and see if it works?

I remember it saying "icon active/passive module" so I just naturally assumed it was going to have the passive switch. And sure enough it does. My Bunnies are exactly the same, BTW. And maybe have the same preamp, the controls work and sound the same on this Bromberg as on my Bunnies.

I've heard some clips of the Icon, and this sounds very similar. But almost a kind of suped up jazz bass sound...

LS
  16. dgce

dgce

Yep, my B2 has a passive mode. Feeling like a dope now.

Interesting, I can't detect a volume drop in passive mode. Will experiment tmr.
  17. Brian Bromberg

Brian Bromberg

Nice bass UncleJane, congratulations! #1, you deserve to have a perfect instrument because Carvin delivers perfect instruments! Their fit and finish is second to none! With that said my opinion is you should send the bass back and get what you paid for, you deserve it.

As far as active/passive, push/pull volume knob, that is only on the humbucking version of the B2 bass because it is the Icon circuit board. When we were developing the electronics, the B2 circuit board sounded amazing with the single coil pick-ups but I preferred the sound of the Icon circuit board with the humbucking pick-ups. To me it's truly about the sound, or if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Think about returning the bass for another, as you paid for a perfect instrument and that is what you should have!
  18. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Thanks B2, that's the problem, it is utterly perfect except for this! lol. The tone, the neck, I think it could spoil my entire herd if I keep playing it.....

I think on second thought I will call Carvin and see what they say. If there's a quicker solution than another 2 months for example, maybe I'll see about getting another one.

But I'll never order another bass without these radiused pickups, these are great. It's got a really nice suped-up jazz bass sort of type sound as-is with the Icon circuitry. I like having the passive mode, but otherwise the preamp has loads of adjustability.

I should also add I really like this new bridge they use on the S model. I never did like the Hipshot too much and actually prefer this one. The locking mechanism, more traditional saddles and lower price are my favorite items about it.

Oh well, I'll ring Carvin up and see what they say...

LS
  19. Brian Bromberg

Brian Bromberg

UncleJane, I have seen the basses when Carvin ships them, they are literally perfect when they leave the factory. You paid for a perfect Carvin B2 Bass, and that is what you deserve to have. The quality of their instruments when they leave the factory are as good as anyone's in the business at any price.

Accidents happen, but I guarantee that Carvin would not want you to have a brand new instrument right out of the box be damaged.

Keep me posted with the progress and what you decide. Thanks man!....B2
  20. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist Supporting Member

And DEFINITELY tell them B2 himself told you to call them! :)