NBD**Buscanti Newport/Review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arch58, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Arch58

Arch58 Supporting Member

I recently had the opportunity to make a trade with Jeff from Buscanti Basses for a Newport model. Best move I ever made, they made me a true believer of their quality builds. Jeff and his brother hand build all these basses right here in the USA, Minnesota to be exact.
    Fit and finish is right up there with many boutique basses. My model is seafoam green and the finish was done on site. It has a swamp ash body, maple neck, rosewood board with a custom cut tusq nut. Also has a custom cut white pearloid pickguard from John Polk of Terrapin Guitars. Their custom electronics are off the charts, it has 2 EMG JV Dual Coil Jazz pickups with the EMG VVT Preamp and you can switch between the standard EMG tone or their custom 9v EXB bass expander circuit. The first time I heard the EXB....WOW! Loads of deep but articulate thump, no mud just deep deep thump (enough to rattle everyones bones).

I have been playing for around 30+ years and was always a true Fender guy first, I still am but this bass gives them all a run for the money, so much so that I'm retiring a few of the older Fenders. Since I have gotten this bass it has been my go to choice, about 6 weeks now. I have to be honest and tell you I was very skeptical about even doing the trade but after talking to Jeff I decided it was worth a shot. I read some other reviews and that's what made me skeptical, there were some bad things said about these but also a lot of good things, just like most reviews. I read that they lacked sustain, not mine! This beast rings forever. Action is low, buzz free and intonation was spot on.

They use quality parts on their builds, Gotoh 201 high mass bridge and Ping tuners. The custom inlay at the 12th fret really accents the seafoam green perfectly, can't tell if it's turquoise or just a pearl inlay that reflects the body color but it's perfect (I should call Jeff and ask him...lol).
    My only flaw if any is that it came in a plain old standard gig bag, but, I also got this in a trade and I made out well enough that it was no big deal to me. I am a true believer in these guys and I definitely plan on working with them on a custom build of my own.
    Remember, if you have a chance, check out a Buscanti, you won't be disappointed. I promise you!

DSC_3233_zps80658d0d.jpg

DSC_3227e_zps1c72e947.jpg

2. Arch58

Arch58 Supporting Member

3. Arch58

Arch58 Supporting Member

4. jazzyitalian

jazzyitalian Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lawyer & Hobbist Bass Maker
    Thanks Al...

I appreciate your willingness to do business with us. Speaking on behalf of my brother, I'll just say that we're glad to hear that this has paid off for you personally, and that we both hope this Newport brings you many years of happiness.

Be well sir.

J

5. Register to disable this ad