1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD, but need help identifying

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by baptistcreature, Aug 8, 2013.

1. baptistcreature

baptistcreature

Howdy folks! I just picked up a nice little 30" scale bass on the local CL, and wanted to check in with you guys to help me identify it. My google-fu turned up similar basses listed as Teisco, Silvertone, or National brand, but most of these had 2 pups. I haven't had a chance to look for any hidden identifying marks, but there's nothing to visibly date it or determine the brand. Any suggestions on what to look for? The pickguard looks to be the most distinguishing feature, with that little extra bit on the upper horn.

Regardless, it plays great and the neck is in excellent condition for its age. The wiring on the pots and input jack need a little cleaning up, but nothing a few minutes with the soldering iron can't fix.

Attached Files:

2. xoloder

xoloder

I had one of this exact model until just recently. The local shop where I bought it had it marked as a Harmony for $69. It had a coat of white latex house paint on it, but it played and sounded great. The neck was very straight and the pickup sounded nice. I added a Fender style bridge so that I could intonate it a bit better. Whatever the make, these are nice little short scale basses.

3. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

That string tree, zero fret, and long cross-drilled truss rod nut, are typical of a Teisco. Silvertones were often made by Teisco.

There is a youtube video of a Teisco model E-52 that looks very much like this.

4. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. baptistcreature

baptistcreature

Yeah, I just came across probably that same clip linked from a page that had one for sale. They had it listed as an E-52, as well.

I'll slap some new strings on it in the morning and clean it up a little bit. I'll probably eventually replace the bridge with a Fender style, as well, but it's a nice little bass for what I paid. Thanks for the info guys!

7. BAce

BAce

That's an Aria A100. Got one just like it, but mine is not as esthetically pleasing as yours (read--beat to hell with an ugly stick). It was my first bass, got it in '81, still have it kicking around the shop for noodling.

8. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie