NBD- Carvin BB76

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by swspiers, Dec 8, 2011.

1. swspiers

swspiers Gold Supporting Member

I got it 2 days ago, and so far I'm impessed. Not so much the first day though- it sounded pretty bad. Until I remembered that the pre-amp has an attenuator. Cranked it up, and all of a sudden I have TONE.

This is my first 6. It's also my first with a MM pup at the bridge, and so far it's pretty amazing. Now I know what 'burp' means when applied to bass tone.

I'm not thrilled with the strings, as I'm used to Chromes on my SB4000, but I'm going to see if they settle in a bit.

I went with an understated matte finish to minimize fingerprints, with a rosewood frettboard as nod to a '70 Fender Jazz I played at the beginning of the year.

Now I just need to figure out why these aren't more popular. The SB4000 and 5000's seem to get all the rave reviews

Attached Files:

2. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Albums:
    looks great! Enjoy.
  3. eightyearsapril

eightyearsapril

Beautiful! I love my Carvin (LB70F), and that shade of blue.
  4. swspiers

Me too.

Sometimes I just look at it, to see if I still like it.

I do!

Do you have pics of the LB70F?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Basshappi

Basshappi

Congrats she's beauty!
    Now go play the dots off of it! :D
  7. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

8. eightyearsapril

eightyearsapril

Not to hijack the BB76 theme of the thread, but here are a few:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. swspiers

So, after 2 weeks, I really like the bass, but hadn't fallen in love with it.

Something just wasn't right. I can play it well enough, and am having no problem transitioning to a 6-string. It plays comfortably enough, the neck is awesome and the balance is everything Bunny says it is. But something was missing.

And then, I put some D'addario Chromes on it and wa-la! NOW I know what a tight B sound like!
  10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Nice color combo.
  11. swspiers

gotta love interest-free financing. I just paid off this bass!

In 4 short months, it has become my primary bass, replacing an SB4000. The neck of the BB76 just fits my hand profile perfectly- if I do get another SB series it will definitely be a 14" radius.

I switched to Circle K balanced tension strings, which was another good move. Low action, NO fret buzz and plays like butter.

And I'm a huge fan of the sweepable mid control.

I have no criticisms of this bass, and am thinking about getting a fretless version. Nice job Carvin!
  12. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

Carvin and Circle-K. Yummy.
  13. 88persuader

88persuader

Ah a King Crimson quote, very nice! :bassist: I have an LB76 with stacked humbuckers and i'm not in love with the stacked humbuckers. I think I'll take your lead and turn up the intenuators and see if that does it for me.
  14. swspiers

Points for getting the reference. I think 'Elephant Talk' can apply in almost any situation :D

Keep us informed on the attenuator adjustment. I think a lot of folk who think Carvin electronics are 'meh' aren't making use of all the controls. Because Carvin does a really poor job of explaining them- kinda like Tech 21 and their pedals. More info= happier end-users.

-S
  15. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Hey swspiers, I've been thinking pretty hard about getting one of these babies recently. Did you get the stacked pickup for the neck position, or did you go with the single coil?
  16. swspiers

I went with the single coil, and am pretty happy with it.
  17. unclejane

unclejane Guest

My BB76 is an unlined FL version, snapshot of it is attached here. It's actually the best sounding bass I have; I just can't play it full time because it eventually starts tearing up my left hand (which is already permanantly injured from years of gigging with unergonomic basses like my old 4001).

I have a BB70F unlined that is much more approachable and I can play it full time on the strap. I'm GAS'ing a bit for a 5 string; can't decide between that and a Bromberg B24S, tho.

The Bunnies were never big sellers for Carvin as far as I can tell, but it's one of the best basses they make. No idea why they aren't more popular...

PS: my working theory is the tone and the appearance. With the stock MM humbucker at the bridge, and especially the fretless model, it's actually a little _too_ successful at sounding like Bunny Brunel lol. My 4 string sounds _exactly_ like Bunny Brunel with the bridge PU soloed, even when plugged into my GK RB1001. It's a magnificent tone that works in virtually any kind of mix, but sometimes I want something different. I didn't order mine with the coil splitting switch but have often thought that would give some more nasal if I wanted it.

The appearance is pretty specialized also, it doesn't look like a precision or jazz bass. That may turn many guys off also. I find the SB series to look absolutely hideous but they still kind of resemble a jazz bass. The SB is a no-go for me since it looks like it doesn't work too well on the strap - otherwise I'd probably try to get past that ghoulish looking upward-going upper horn and get one lol.

LS

Attached Files:

18. Hobobob

Any noticeable noise? I dug the tone of this combo when I checked out a 4 string Bunny at NAMM, but I gotta be able to record with it!
  19. Hobobob

I think the Brunel bass is the coolest looking bass ever made. Then again, I'm not exactly a role model for good taste...
  20. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

My BB75 has been my number 1 since I got it. It's just an outstanding bass, truly a wonderful instrument. And I DO have basses that cost 3 grand more that sit in their cases while the Bunny gets played.
  21. Standalone

Standalone

Love my LB76P, same trans blue colors as your BB.