NBD - Carvin LB-50 (You Heard Right)...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassclef112, Apr 10, 2014.

1. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Several months ago I came a cross one of these in black. I always used to get the Carvin Catalogs back when these were new (80's) and I always wondered what they were like. I did read whatever I could over the years and finally decided to grab one when it came around. It's all original except for an added thumb rest. Well, other than some honest wear it was in pretty good shape so I threw a set of flats on it the day I got it and went off to a gig that same night. Homerun! It sounded fat and clear and played great. Love it. For those of you that don't know about these, build quality is tip top, it's all maple with set neck/ebony board, Schaller hardware, brass nut and V-T-V-T with coil split on their own humbuckers. Plus it's wired for Stereo if you want it (like a Ric). A lot of bass for the price in any book!

I've been looking for another one since and just grabbed this one. Other than multiple Jazz basses (all different) I don't have 2 of anything so that's got to say something about these! This one looks to be in even better shape and I'm anxious to get it. Maybe one of these will become a candidate for the set of Alumitones I recently picked up - something to think about. And it was $100 cheaper than the other one!!! An absolute bargain since they're off the radar - most don't know what they are, and how well made. Kinda like the old Peaveys...

BTW - you can't really date these but this version was made between '83 and '85.

I really like the neck profile, it balances great, isn't heavy at all (for all maple) and sounds really darn good. I kinda wish I got one when they were new!

[​IMG]

2. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

Great score. Congrats!

3. jetgraphics

jetgraphics

I bought one in 1981.

4. gumbynotpokey

gumbynotpokey

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Brian Jeffries

Brian Jeffries

7. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets

Media:
    I have always wanted one of these. Saw a gorgeous white one a few years ago with a Kahler trem; unfortunately it was a lefty. Great score bro!