NBD: Carvin PB5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassmunnky, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Got My PB 5...I have 10 basses...just organized the storage room, and put 9 of them in there.

The Neck on this thing is Amazing. I'm a MusicMan Ray 5 Guy..the neck on this is even thinner...perfect Nut spacing..perfect front to back depth..just stoopid comfy..and feels like HOME..

What killed all my other basses...(fenders, Ric, MM...)..was the Spacing at the Bridge...the 'Traditional Spacing" of a 4 on a 5 string bridge.

SOUND: I went for passive, as I have some great outboard preamps and not a fan of batteries. Pure...great TONE...it actually reminds me of an active bass..the frequency range is so wide.

I have a FENDER P5..My main recording bass..it's great..Great range of tones..

However..this PickUP gives you an even WIDER range of tones based on hand placement...Super punchy, Traditional P...Big and FAT up near the neck..and much more low end then a P.

Carvin did hit this out of the park. The Playability is second to NONE. Setup is low...perfect. I'm not fighting this bass at all...like I do with a Fender or the Ric.

I've never bought into the "carvin resale value" BS posted ad nauseum here on TB...You won't want to sell these basses anyways...

Short Spec List

One Piece Ash
    One Piece Flame Top
    Stainless Vintage Size Frets
    Ebony Board
    Passive
    Burnt Umber..

Gotta Play

Attached Files:

2. DerekMcC

DerekMcC Supporting Member

Congrats. I love my passive PB. It is the bass I have been waiting years for. I have sold 3 basses since I got it and now have the PB and an SB. If I were to get rid of another bass, it would be the SB. Carvin really hit it out of the park on this one.

I hope you continue to enjoy yours.

Also . . . Great color and wood choices.:cool:
  3. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Disclosures:
    Thanks..I can't put it down....it's the perfect combination of Neck...body..pickup..spacing..everything..and price...no one can touch this thing in terms of quality for price.
  4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Gorgeous bass congrats I was tainted by all of the discussions about Carvins but I finally had a chance to play one and man do they sound incredible I became an instant fan for ebony boards also I will be adding a Carvin to my collection in the future.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Congrats!

What a beautiful, understated, elegant-looking bass!

:bassist:
  7. aparker82

aparker82 Supporting Member

That is a gorgeous bass! Love the matching headstock!
  8. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

That burnt umber is great. Congrats.
  9. gumbynotpokey

gumbynotpokey

Great!

As I enjoy saying about Carvin, who's beating this quality at ANY price?

:D
  10. Dave Siff

Dave Siff

Sweet lookin' bass!
    My main bass is a Fender P5 so I'm intrigued by your comparison. How's the B string on the Carvin compared to the Fender?
  11. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Disclosures:
    "My main bass is a Fender P5 so I'm intrigued by your comparison. How's the B string on the Carvin compared to the Fender?"

The B on the Carvin is great. Sounds like the others strings. Right now the comparison to the Fender P5 would be off as the Strings aren't the same. I use and love the original Fender stings that came on the fender PV with the taper core B And E, the Carvin strings are much lighter, but sound great, the B is Tapered on the Carvin.

The Carvin is just easier to play, neck wise with the flatter radius and space at the bridge. Super comfy, and I really love the customization I was able to do..so it's my version of a good P.

By all means I'm keeping the FENDER PV...it DOES sound Like a Traditional Fender P...which the Carvin sound close...but not all the way...The Carvin Pickup has a much wider range, and like a P..really sits in the Mix.
  12. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player

Congrats....lovely bass.
    I've been GASsing for a Carvin for several years. This just might push me over the edge.
  13. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Disclosures:
    You can't lose with this bass. Ed Friedland will be reviewing his Carvin P5 on video soon as well. I'm going to take a wild guess that he might like it as well!
  14. gumbynotpokey

gumbynotpokey

15. Dave Siff

Dave Siff

Cool.. interesting. I built a PB5 online yesterday just for kicks. The imagination really runs wild with all the possibilities. If I didn't have a Roscoe 5 on the way, I'd probably be going for a PB5 right now.
  16. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member