NBD (cheapo Yamaha fretless content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Rbx260f. My first Craigslist purchase. Hell of a nice guy I got it from. He busted out the sitar and we jammed for a bit. Some sitar and bass blues. (Didnt expect a middle aged caucasian man in glasses and a sweater vest to play the sitar). Damn fine bass. Mwah up to wazoo, which I didn't think would come with a fretless P. Super thumpy and fat with the tone rolled down and mwah-ey, bright and funky with the tone up. Intonation is very good all the way up to the 24th "fret". Input jack in the front, which is nice. He just put a new set of roto 66's but they're a bit too zingy for me. Overall, I'm smitten.

Attached Files:

2. dalkowski

dalkowski

You snagged a newer version of my first and only FL, an RBX200F. Well done -- that bass will love you back for years to come. Mine wears Fender tapewounds, fwiw.

3. Gorn Captain

Just restring with some daddrio nickels I had lying around. Definitely an improvement but I'm gonna get some ghs pressurewounds for it.

4. BassAgent

BassAgent

I had the P/J version of that, the RBX270F. I agree with dalkowski here, they're basses that are absolutely amazing, especially for the price. I started on a fretted 270, and it's a bass I recommend it to everybody who's looking for a cheap and good bass. Same goes for the 260s.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

In my experience with cheapo PJ's, the j pup is always disappointing. This p pup is fantastic for such a cheap bass. From what I've read, when this was discontinued and replaced with the PJ, people preferred this one.

7. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz Supporting Member

Sadly I don't have a Yamaha PJ yet (being a lefty sucks), but this is the case with my BBN4 (or BB4N). The bridge pickup just sounds weak and muddy. I usually play full neck pickup and I like the sound.

8. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz Supporting Member

Also congratulations. There is no such thing as a cheap Yamaha (IMO at least). I have a BBN4 that I defretted myself and another fretted on the way. My NBD cheapy Yamaha thread will be here soon!

9. MTD_Kings_Ton

MTD_Kings_Ton Smelling Sounds since 1979 Supporting Member

Sorry to Necro this thread, BUT.... Found me a RBX260F Fretless in natural Alder Finish for $150. Couldn't pass on it. It won't be here for a week or so, but I already ordered a set of LaBella Tapes, some Basslines SPB-3 Quarter Pounders, new pots, and a plethora of other stuff to stick in it when it shows. Gonna be FUN. I MISS my Fretless....