1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD Conklin GT7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by curbowkid, Jan 16, 2013.

1. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

For a long time i have wanted one of these. And i can finally afford one. This bass is a monster in every sense ofnthe word. Size, tone, weight, look. It feels great to play and its so fun since its a 7 string. Anyways here she is

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Nice!!! Those are great basses!

3. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Wicked! Congratulations and I know you'll love it more as time passes. I own a GTBD-7 and I have a blast with it everytime I pick it up.

4. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

I already have trouble putting it down ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

If you haven't already found it, locate the ERB Club. Many pictures and owners of extended range basses in there.

7. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Okay so now that ive had the bass for a bit. Its time for a full review. One thing there isnt much off for this instrument.

First off. I bought this instrument BRAND NEW IN THE BOX from musicians friend. They were awesome and even negotiated price with me a bit. So im happy with that as i also have 3 years of coverage on it. That was good.

Now on to arrival condition and such things.
    Bass came in 4 days after order, pretty good. Box was in great shape and had very very minor damage (small tear in the back). Upon opening the box, i see the box the bass is in. A Cort box. That kinda caught me off guard but i figured its all made in the same factory even though its two different brands. Okay whatever. The bass itself isnt wine red entirely as described but is actually a redburst finish (pics). Kinda unapealing but looks arent #1 for me. The bass came missing a strap button on the upper horn. It apeared it had been removed (probably for shipping since its likely to go through he back of the box) and had not been replaced. Luckly i had strap locks waiting. The bass was in new shape (obviously) but i could tell QC wasnt really doing their job. There was a big paint drip by the input jack that had been left there and polished. The fretboard had small bits missing from it no bigger than a brad nail head and he fretboard was very dry. The fret glue was stuck on the fretboard in places and i have not yet removed it. Frets were in good shape except for one with a raised edge but it is glued in place so theres no fixing it. The neck had a good amount of forward bow and needed excessive truss rod adjustment to get playable. Also the very tip of the headstock has a small chip in it but being such a voulnerable area i let it go.

After some TLC and care.
    The fretboard now oiled up is nice and purple. The neck also got a light oil treatment just to give it a little life. Got it fully set up, intonated, all that jazz (thanks joey!).

Now for the review over all.
    The bass is a monster. Big and quite heavy (my guess is 14-17 pounds). Im still getting used to playing with it and getting it positioned right for maximum reach across the neck. The neck is a very comfy shape. Flat and thin. The transition to the neck heel is different but not bad once you get used too it. Tone on this bass is AWESOME. One of my favorite basses tone wise. As for playing styles and flexability, its pretty much perfect. I can tap, slap and pluck all day long on it. Its a little tight since its a 16mm spacing but not bad. One issue i have is no arm contour. The edge of the bass digs into my forearm. Over all its a fun bass and i have a hard time going a day without playing it. For a mass produced 7 string its not bad. Neck is stable, frets are ok-good, sound is on point. It just tales ALOT of getting used too.

Im not too scrutinizing x) i just found that in my search for a review of this bass, not to many people took the time to give full descriptions and experience. So here it is cut and dry.

8. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

A bass from MF with a missing strap pin and headstock dings? I am thinking you may not be the first person MF shipped this to. Still, this bass has long piqued my interest and I am envious. Enjoy it!

9. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Did you search the box for the strap pin? It is normally left off for shipping. Sounds like you're having a blast with it.

10. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

I did search the box and all it had was a bag of allen wrenches. And the headstock tip is a very voulnerable area and it just looks like before it was boxed for shipping the cort box got tossed around a bit with the bass in it. Either way its barely noticable and im happy with it.

11. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

I'm sorry, but I would find this absolutely unacceptable, and send it back.
    With this much wrong with it - I'd try a different brand alltogether.

Here's an imformative thead form the other day: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/has-gc-mf-become-dumping-ground-manufactures-949673/

12. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Conklin does this? Cort does this? I have never heard of such a thing.

13. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

The strap pin is mounted on the back of the upper horn. It's left off so it doesn't dig into the box during shipping.

14. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

The upper horn strap pin is mounted in the back of the instrument. So if its shippednwith it on theres a high chance of it punching through the boxes and being damaged

15. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

I thought about it but since i have such a good deal on the instrument (Bass + warranty for the price of the bass) i let it slide. Im more of a player than a collector. Its going to inevitably get battle scars down the line and the things off with it are very minor.

16. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

I contacted musicians friend and they agreed to compensate by sending me a new set of strings for it and if anything major goes wrong with it they will replace it for me.

17. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Right on. So, either way, it appears you can't lose with this deal. Good for you.

18. bassbenj

bassbenj

I wouldn't. I only send back basses that really are unacceptable.

And since I happen to own both a Conkin 7 and another brand (Bass Mods) 7 I would VERY MUCH caution against expecting better from somewhere else. My too basses are quite different. The Conklin 7 is bright and hifi and just about everything you'd expect from a modern 7 string. It's really the shizit! MY Bass Mods on the other hand is a very nice looking bass and very well built, but was cheaper than the Conklin. But it is also quite different for a 7 string. It pretty much feels and sounds like any common 6 string but with an additional string! The Conklin on the other hand is in a class by itself.

I do love BOTH approaches to 7 string bass, but if I had to only keep one, it would be the Conklin!

19. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Returning and exchanging the bass for the GTBD7 in natual. Theres to much wrong with this for my taste. My 300 dollar ibanez plays better

20. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

I asked then to inspect it before it ships to me as well so this wont happen again

21. josiah goldfish

josiah goldfish