1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD: Dean Hillsboro(pics and review inside)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metallicafan18, Jun 16, 2010.

1. metallicafan18

metallicafan18

Just got this an hour ago. That I know of, I'm the only one on this forum that has one of these at the time. I got the Eric Bass signature version of the Hillsboro with the single MM pickup in the sweet spot.

First Impressions:
    The box came from UPS, so I was already worried. The box itself was opened on one end and was beat to hell. I was nervous. I look inside and see the bass in another box with lots of padding. YAY. I bring it down to my room and open it up. The bass was layered with bubble wrap and very well padded. I took off all the padding and grabbed the bass. It is pretty light-weight. I look at the fingerboard and neck and it is perfectly set-up. The grain is nice and clean on the fingerboard. So far I am very impressed. I tune it up and turn on my amp. This bass sounds massive! I love the rock tone this bass gets. It came factory stock with Rotosound Stainless Steels! That was a surprise.

Feel:
    If you were to take the feel of a Rickenbacker body, a jazz bass neck, and the tone of a Stingray; you have this bass. The neck is very small and comfortable. The body has a large upper horn, but no worse than a Rickenbacker. The tone just screams Musicman. It sounds very similar. The neck has a light satin finish, so it is very smooth and doesn't get sticky.

Sound:
    The bass is built for rock. There is no doubting that. It is very mid-range strong. I assume it will cut through well. I haven't had a chance to play it with a band yet, but I will Friday, and I will report back. The only complaint I have is that the pickup is very loud on the E string, and the other strings not so much. I was planning on upgrading to a Bartolini or something like that later on, so that should help. Also it is a active bass ran off of one 9V battery.

I know the standard model Hillsboro's are under $300, so they would make an amazing bass to mod or just have. The action and ease of play is as good as my Rickenbacker. I am shocked of how much I got for the price. I am a huge fan of Dean basses now.

And of course a few pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Doesn't Eric's bass have a Bartolini Pup? Congratz on the Bada$$ bass!
  3. metallicafan18

metallicafan18

One of his does. I saw him a few months ago, he had 3 different ones:
    An all black with a Bartolini
    An all black like mine with stock pickup
    And one white with a black pickguard and stock pickup.
  4. FL Knifemaker

FL Knifemaker

Good looking bass!
  5. metallicafan18

metallicafan18

I will be doing a video review soon as well.
  6. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Cool man, they look great.
  7. metallicafan18

metallicafan18

I haven't got a video review done, but here is a song I covered with this bass:
  8. BassesForTheWin

BassesForTheWin

I am loving Dean Basses after the Hillsboro's came out (not realesed, I looked up, they will be out around August/September) im thinking about trading my Fender/Squier P-J Combo for a Hillsboro Jazz or the Single Hillsboro bass. I dont think I would get the Eric Bass one though, i mean it looks buetiful, but until the White w/Black comes out, ill get it.
  9. ExurKun

ExurKun

Thanks for the review, really looking to try one of these out!
  10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Hey, I was just thinking about buying one of these. I found one in transparent black with a white pickguard (beautiful bass) with a case for a really nice price. I was looking at an Epiphone EB-3, custom, but I'd have to pay $300 for the one I want without a case, not to mention $50 for shipping. I can get the Hillsboro with the case AND free shipping for the same price.
    I just bought a used Dean AEBC for $135 at Guitar Center on Saturday and it plays much better than I thought it would. Satin finish is nice and absolutely no fret buzz.
    Maybe the is Hillsboro J-4 is just what I'm looking for.
  11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Clearance item. Hanging up in the store for a while, so technically it's used, but...
    [​IMG]
  12. the wako kid

the wako kid

I've always liked the look of those hillsboro J basses,what they do with the pickguard is really awesome. I don't really like shinedown,but I watched your vid,and I must say,it sounds really good. unfortunately I don't like black on black. I saw an advert in bass player the other day with eric bass holding a white one with a black guard,now that was awesome,and I'd definitely rock one. congrats on the bass though,it's sick.
  13. George Mann

George Mann

Have any of you had the chance to look over a Hillsboro Jr?
  14. gabrielvv7

gabrielvv7

"Have any of you had the chance to look over a Hillsboro Jr?"
    it's a nice, solid bass with a precision pick-up.
    it's quite simple looking, but don't be deceived, it still sounds good.
    one thing, it is not as flexible sound wise as a erick bass, hillsboro single, or the j-bass... :meh:
  15. gabrielvv7

gabrielvv7

this is off topic, but interesting. the other day i saw a Hillsboro j-bass that had it's pickups wired together in series (basically made one humbucker out of the two) and a bartolini humbucker added closer to the neck. the blend button now moved between the two j-pick-ups and the bartolini pick-up. i was not allowed to test it though....
    so... i would appreciate any input on the sound, electronics, tone, etc. :)
  16. ERIC31

ERIC31

I'm really diggin this blue Hillsboro blue J bass. I'm gonna have to get one.

[​IMG]
  17. BackseatMike

BackseatMike

I have a red sunburst Hillsboro Single. I play it through a Hartke rig and it cuts like no other. I play in a NJ based rock band that plays out professionally 2-3 times a week, Backseat Love Affair. I LOVE this bass! I used it as my main for about a year until I got picked up by Lakland. But I sneak it in for a few gigs here and there and use it in the studio. Bass is massive sounding and the neck is faster than hell. And its durable too! I beat my basses up pretty good while on stage, and this thing can take all that I can throw at it. For the price, there is seriously nothing better. I strongly suggest picking one up if you are in the market!
  18. metallicafan18

metallicafan18

Couple of new Hillsboro models out this year. I saw an Eric Bass with white paint, and a cheaper hillsboro with PJ pickups. It would make a perfect starter bass for someone.