NBD Defretted Ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GrandLowBass, Nov 10, 2012.

1. GrandLowBass

GrandLowBass

My first bass is new again! Got her defretted, the fret slots filled with maple, the board tung oiled. Muah!

Attached Files:

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Looks like a great job! Nothing like making something old "new" again.

I'm not a fretless fingerboard expert by any means, but I've had bodies that were tung oiled and I don't remember the finish being particularly hard or durable.

3. Marton

Marton

Tung oil isn't durable, but is really easy to touch up.

4. mfbolton

mfbolton Bassist for The Dam Dams Supporting Member

Very nice. Who did the work?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GrandLowBass

GrandLowBass

I originally planned to do the work myself but since I've never defretted and I'm pretty busy, I had a local luthier take care of it. Faster and more professional. Plus, his asking price was fair for the job. But I will defret a bass on my own someday!

7. bassbenj

bassbenj

VERY NICE WORK!

I'm considering defretting my Ibby 506 as well. I think that should have some great possibilities!

Have you had much time to form an opinion of the new fretless tone compared to the original fretted tone?

8. GrandLowBass

GrandLowBass

I've logged quite a few hours on it already and I love it. The tone has changed very little. I find the front pickup more useable now than before (although I don't know why), but still prefer the burpiness of the bridge. I think the overall tonal quality of the instrument is well-suited for fretless. I find it to be very warm and expressive, surprisingly. I'm not sure how my SRX would compare to your SR506 since your pickups are Barts (I think?) and mine are made by Ibanez. But if you like the tone of your 506 and want fretless, go for it!