1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD: Dougals WOB 826 Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chungweishan, Mar 11, 2014.

1. chungweishan

chungweishan

I've been watching the Rondo site daily for months, hoping for a sale on fretless basses that weren't medium scale. I figured go for the 6-string if possible. Fortunately, this bass popped up on the site.
    http://www.rondomusic.com/product746.html

Bought it with a generic hardcase, so the bass doesn't fit exactly into it. I'll keep the cardboard pieces in it to hold it steady. I already pressed my luck having a cheap guitar delivered without a case.

Thankfully, the bass arrived fine. No damage. Nothing out of the ordinary. Amazingly, the bass was actually in tune: B E A D G C. The nut looks like crap though, but functional. My SX Furrian guitar's nut was a disaster.

The Flatwound strings are, for the most part, terrible. The low B and E string have weird kinks in them. The B is dead. I never encountered anything like it. It's great if I always wanted a muted low-B sound... I don't though.

Action is all over the place, but somehow I can get a mwah sound out of the G string. Intonation: terrible. Doesn't matter, those strings will change anyways and a proper set up.

The battery is actually good so it worked after I connected it up to my amp. While I know I'm changing the strings, it does sound good to my ear. Controls work fine. Knobs turn: tone changes correctly.

Fret-dots seem to be in the right place, no fretlines. Neck feels smooth, and easy to play. Doesn't feel so wide that it's stretching and killing my hand when I play. Only a tiny blemish on the fretboard that won't affect anything.

So while it's the excitement of a new instrument, it really is a joy to play right now even with the awful strings. On with the pictures to prove it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gary m

gary m

Very nice! I've owned the fretted version of this one for several years, and it's actually a nice instrument after you get past the setup issues.

I recommend GHS flats for this one...they sound great with this pickup/preamp combo. I did have to shim the pickups to get them up where I like them, but not a big deal. The nut on mine was a disaster as well, but I recut the slots and glued it on properly...it plays fine now. Electronics are quite good, and the neck can be set dead flat and the action dropped extremely low. This is how I have mine set, and it's very comfortable.

I was looking at the fretless version for myself, so I'd be interested in your impressions after you've had some time to work with it. Not such a bad bass for the money.

Enjoy!

3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

They're probably the same type of flats that came on my Douglas fretless violin bass. They were indeed terrible.