NBD: Douglas Hollowbody

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blindeddie, Jan 2, 2014.

1. blindeddie

blindeddie

so, i was messin around online a few weeks ago, and i ended up on the rondo site. a few years ago i picked up a fretless SX jazz because it was so cheap and was totally impressed. so when i saw this Douglas Hollowbody i thought i'd give it a shot because i felt pretty confident that it would be worth the money. it was a little more than the jazz, but still super cheap and the old jazz was soooo much nicer than the price tag, i felt sure that this would probably end up with similar results. well, it was delivered to my office today and all i can say is WOW! this thing is killer. it totally exceeds all my expectations. but before i go too far, i have to say that i have not plugged it in yet. i'm still at work unfortunately so i can't test drive it fully. but unplugged it is still pretty impressive. especially considering the price. it has a nice acoustic tone despite the crappy strings. all the hardware is waaaaay nicer than the cheap stuff that came on the SX. and overall the bass is just super solid. it's pretty friggin heavy duty feeling. the finish is nice and it was even set-up pretty well! i honestly planned from the very beginning on modding the bass with new electronics. even without hearing it. i'm thinking of a Seymour Duncan MM ceramic pickup and all new pots and wiring etc. but i guess we will see how the current electronics sound this evening. but yes, i am totally stoked with this purchase. it feels great, plays nice and has a sweet unplugged tone. i grabbed some new strings and strap locks on my lunch break and will probably order new electronics next week. cant wait to clock out and head home to try her out!

Attached Files:

2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Good looking bass...I like it in sunburst MUCH better than black or white, so I'm really digging yours...but that's just my personal preference.
  3. blindeddie

blindeddie

yeah, it looks a little yellow under these flourescent lights here at work. it's a little warmer brown actually
  4. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

5. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Wow that really looks nice! But how's it sound? Plug it in! :D
  6. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

There was another Douglas holowbody thread like yesterday or two days ago from someone who was also very satisfied. This is gonna be the bass i buy next. Was looking at hollow or semi for 6 months and couldn't decide myself (was gonna get a Dillion Db-335 until they stopped making them right as i was gonna buy one..i was the same as an eb-2 body wise and gibson threathened to sue...), had seen this one but thought the lone middle pickup would be lacking, especially at under 300$. But i read good things two or three times now about this bass, i think shape wise its the closest to a Eb-2 out there (which is my ideal look wise). I'm gonna take the plunge and get me a black one and hope it suits my needs. Worst case i dont like it and i don't think it'll be that hard to resell considering how great it looks...
  7. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Oh but please get back to us (or me anyway, i want to know :p) on what you think of it once plugged in...
  8. blindeddie

blindeddie

Dude, it sounds great. So good in fact that im not gonna switch the pickup after all. Nice output. No noise or hum. Sweet tone. But i am gonna switch the pots and get some nicer knobs. Other than that im totally happy with it.
  9. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Nice! Looking forward to trying one myself. Thanks for the followup.
  10. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

I am not surprised with the PUP. That's how I would want one....with the MM style bucker mid-mounted and a hard bridge. Congrats. I have also been looking at these and appreciate your follow-up as well.