1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD - Epi EB3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by punkjazzben, Dec 31, 2013.

1. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

Despite the collective internet wisdom of TB, this bass is killer! Bought it as a post-PhD/Christmas present.

The neck is really, really comfortable in my hands. Fit and finish is top notch. It came setup almost perfectly for me. Hardware feels sturdy. The stock strings are surprisingly good.

The bridge is 'different', but there's a good instructional thread here on TB for when I need to make adjustments. To be honest, most complaints I've read here on TB about these basses are easy to sort out with a bit of commonsense and five minutes of reading. It neckdives, yeah, but the solution is simple - rest my right forearm on the bass, like I would anyway. So that's no problem. You shouldn't be supporting the neck with your left hand anyway.

Tonewise, I wouldn't say it's muddy - it's more 'pillowy'. It sits really well with the kind of pub rock covers I'm playing now in my band, and I find it, overall, a really comfortable, great sounding instrument. I think I might be a convert... ;)

Thinking about getting a pearloid pickguard - any suggestions for suppliers?

Crappy phone pic:

1388474012430.jpg

2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Congrats on the NBD.

In my personal humble observation, that collective internet wisdom of TB pretty much excludes everything not made by Fender or Ampeg from the cool list.
    Except for the Essex (SX) instruments of course, those are beyond cool.
    According to TB anyway ;).

As a non Fender and almost non Ampeg (SVTDI) fellow, I'm happy to hear You decided not to go with the flow :).

In fact, over the years I have came really close on buying one, EB3 that is, but for some reason something has always gotten into the way.
    Perhaps some day I will, even though I do have a Model 1 on the neck of my Epi T-Bird, that gives a pretty good EB3 impersonation with the bridge PU.

Regards
    Sam

3. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

Couldn't agree more!

Totally happy with my purchase and, although I've bought Fender before, I'm not 'fighting' this bass like I have others.

4. Basshappi

Basshappi

That's a real beauty, congrats!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

I've always wanted one (still do) but just couldn't get into the feel of the neck profile. oh well, maybe someday. congrats!

7. pfox14

pfox14

That EB-3 looks bad azz in black. Very cool and congrats. I have a '67 EB-3 that I refinished in black because it was such a rare color back in the 60s.

8. wolfmancharlie

wolfmancharlie

Congrats on a very nice looking bass. I am going to pick one of these up myself this year. Just want to get that Gibby sound back . Have a great time with her.

9. happy_tom

happy_tom

Shhhh, that's a well kept secret among EB3 players.
    It keeps the prices down :ninja:

I like mine so much I'm thinking about getting another one and modding it with different pickups, so I can have variety, but the same great feel (and looks). :D

10. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

I just found the one I pawned over a year ago at another pawn shop and looks like the day I traded for it. Put it in layaway and will pick it up on Sat. Can't wait....i've missed it and regretted pawning it. One of the best/most comfortable necks I've played on (only better are my Gibson Tbird and a 4003 Ric I owned years ago). I added a bridge plate behind the 3 point bridge to act as a stop tail-piece and take the forward pull off of the 3 point bridge to avoid pull-out of the 3 point bridge. HERE IS HOW TO FIX THE NECK DIVE.....simply move the rear strap button about 4 inches up the back of the bass towards the top. Wide strap and your neck dive is solved.

11. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Correction....neck dive not 100% solved by this mod but GREATLY alleviated.

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I like the Epi eb3s and the Gibson version as well. They have a nice warm tone.

If I had any interest in owning a 4 string bass then I would get one.

So my SG frankensteined basses will have to do.

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I have seen a nice pearloid eb3 pickguard on the internet ...

I am looking for a black eb3 pickguard if you want to sell yours.