NBD! Epiphone Thunderbird Classic-IV

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BenWhoPlaysBass, Mar 7, 2014.

1. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

I hardly ever post here, but I figured this would be a good occasion to do so! Alright, so I'm primarily a Fender guy, but I've been a little unfaithful lately :D . Just came in the other day, my 3rd ebay instrument purchase. Been wanting one of these for awhile. It's an Epiphone Thunderbird Classic Pro-IV, the neck-thru model with Gibson pickups in it. She's a refurbished model, so I got it for a good price. Gotta say, playing it is... Weird. For me anyway. The neck is nice but the body shape is very strange to someone like me who's been used to playing Jazz or Precision basses their whole musical life. So not weird in a bad way. The pickups? Holy crap, these pickups are HOT. Very loud too, lots of low-end rumble. Guess they don't call 'em THUNDERbirds for no reason, eh? All in all, I like it. The finish is gorgeous, and it seems to be well built.

Attached Files:

2. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

A shot of the back of the bass. I really like how you can see all of the different parts of the body beneath the finish.

Attached Files:

3. TinIndian

TinIndian

Nice! I am more of a Fender guy as well, but the Epiphone Classic Pro's have been catching my eye lately as well. Funny thing about that is I've never thought much of them before and really dont care for Gibson type basses in general.

Congrats! Nice bass!
  4. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

Like the OP...I'm a long time Fender, MM, Warmoth, USACG kind of guy. I did, however, pick one of these up a few months ago, and have since picked up another. With some fret work, Hipshot tuners and bridge - they'll make a very serviceable instrument for why I bought them. The pups do impart a unique sound, and I've always enjoyed the tone of players who played T-Birds, and were used to them. There IS some adjustment to the bass - I'll adapt. Now...get over to the Thunderbird Club to check out what others have to say :smug:
  5. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Thunderbirds can grow on you, pretty soon it's like they' re beautiful Sirens that call your name........it's futile to resist. :)

Congratulations on your new bass!
  6. 9_Pin

9_Pin

I'm a guitar player looking to make the change to bass and I've been looking at these quite a bit. It's good to read so many positive things about it. I can't wait to get my hands on one to see if I like it.
  7. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

I love T Birds, but am so comfortable with Fender layouts. I am without a Bird right now, well maybe not.....I still have a Mockingbird.... But keeping my eyes open for a White Classic Epi
  8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Congrats on the beautiful new T'bird Ben!
  9. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Congrats on the new Bird!!
  10. Righteous Thunderer

Righteous Thunderer

I've been eyeballing these for BEAD tuning, really enjoyed the various Thunderbirds (both Epi and Gibson) that I've played at the stores. Congrats!