1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD! Epiphone Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thedudebrah, Dec 15, 2012.

1. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

Cross this one off of my Gas list. Was out Xmas shopping with a friend and her boyfriend and she suggested we stop in a small music shop near my house since both her boyfriend and myself are musicians. Found this hanging on the wall and played around a little bit through a crappy 20 watt combo. Needs the string height adjusted, but the neck is straight and it plays great. A few small dings, but other wise it's in great shape! Got it for $250.

Only have one pic cause I wanna set this thing up and play.
    [​IMG]

2. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    nice looking!

almost the same thing happened to me today! I was shopping online for gifts then went to GC site and bought a GK neo 2-12.

3. thedudebrah

Got it set up to my liking and played it for a few hours. Sounds great through my acoustic b200. Can't wait to play it through my SVT rig.

Is it worth upgrading the pickups or anything, or should I just leave it as-is?

4. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Gongrats on the NBD.

Unless You're looking at Gibson PU's, or better yet Lulls, I wouldn't bother.

Everybody claims that the originals are lacking, but AFAIK there's just no substitutes that much better on the market.

I do have to admit that I do have a Model-One in mine next to the FB, but I also use the originals. And did for a long time before the mod.

Regards
    Sam

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. stiles72

stiles72

The stock Epi pups work well IMO. I did a bunch of upgrades on my Epi IV and went with a Lull in the bridge position (because I wanted something chrome) but left the stock neck pup under the handrest. I think it has a great deep tone, especially with the tone knob off. Combined with the bright Lull pickup, it makes a nice balance between thump and definition.

[​IMG]

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

T-Birds look cool all day...congrats!

8. thedudebrah

Love that color Stiles!

Any way to counterbalance the massive neck dive I'm getting with this thing?

9. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

10. thedudebrah

Oh well! :D

11. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

A wide suede strap and learn to play with your right forearm resting on the rear bout of the bass.

12. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

You didn't get a smokin deal but with a hard case and the bass being in good shape you didn't get ripped ether.

13. thedudebrah

I checked my local Craigslist while I was in store and saw them going or around 235. They also threw in a pack of new strings for me. I think I made out alright. Thanks for the tips on neck dive too!

14. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

They're 299 brand new now that the classic IV pro is out. Which is vastly improved. The case is 100 new. Not a ripoff but… yeah. Enjoy man, but if you can return might wanna consider the new classic pro.

Neck dive… move strap pin to use one of the neck plate bolts.

15. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups

Buy an extra set of strap pins and put one here...........:)

[​IMG]

16. thedudebrah

Never would have thought of that! Thanks!

17. Kopfjaeger

Kopfjaeger Guest

I stopped by my local Sam Ash and played the new Epi classic pro. It's a neck through made in Indonesia but has Gibson America wound pups. The sound was very good and I was amazed by its light weight. Fit and finish was OK. It was sorta like comparing Ikea furniture with Ethan Allen furniture. You can get comfortable on the stuff Ikea sells but you enjoy Ethan Allen quality more.

The set up was horrendous. I could have driven my truck under the strings above the 9th fret but the bridge appeared to be raised way up. The strings felt like crap but that is an easy fix. Priced at a bit lower than $600. without the case was a good price but I need another bass like I need another hole in my stupid head!! I've never played a Gibson made Thunderbird, I'm told they are "da bomb".

Sepp

18. eccles77

eccles77

I wouldn`t change the stock pup`s. I have the same model as yours and in the rehersal studio we use, it sounds good crancked up loud through an SVT and an 8x10. The guitarist who I was playing with couldn`t believe the sound that was coming from a cheap bass.