NBD: Epiphone Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mfbolton, Jan 9, 2013.

1. mfbolton

mfbolton Bassist for The Dam Dams Supporting Member

Picked up an Epiphone Thunderbird today. My new cover band plays several songs down tuned a half step, so I picked this up to be permanently tuned in Eb. I got a great deal. It was on clearance at Best Buy for $200! Saved a hundred bucks.

It is in really good shape, no usual store rash. Brought it home and took off the old strings, polished it up, and restrung with some D'Addario EXL160 medium gauge strings. I figured the heavier gauge would be good for tuning down.

I'm not a huge fan of poly finished necks, so I may end up sanding the finish off. I'll play it for a couple weeks before deciding though.

Attached Files:

2. mfbolton

I picked up a strap and some strap locks at my local mom & pop. I got a nicely padded, wide strap because the 'Bird is pretty heavy. It does neck dive like a champ. But I'll only be playing it for 5 or 6 songs a night, so it shouldn't be too bad.
  3. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded

sweet bass. have been GAS'ing for a thunderbird for a long time and these Epi's are solid basses that don't get enough praise around these parts. awesome deal too
  4. tomnomnom91

tomnomnom91

Great bass, I love mine. If you want to fix the neck dive just move the strap pin at the top of the body to the neck plate. Did it with mine and the balance is now perfect.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LowNotes1

LowNotes1

I bought my Epi T-bird from my son, mainly so he could use the money to get himself a laptop. I figured I'd eventually sell the 'bird, but the more I played it, the more I liked it. No plans to sell it now. For $300, it's a good deal.
  7. cliff em all

cliff em all

i used to have a thunderbird but recently sold it..kinda regret it now
  8. mfbolton

Thanks for the tip. I may try that.
  9. PWRL

PWRL

Good deal, hard to pass up at that rate.
  10. mfbolton

Yeah. I was shocked, as I had just seen one at Guitar Center with a big gash in the finish on one of the corners, and the best they offered was $269.

The Best Buy also had a Squier Classic Vibe Precision Bass in Sonic Blue for $260. I almost went with it, but I just finished putting together a P Bass, so I decided to do something different.
  11. PWRL

PWRL

Sounds like right decision.
  12. stiles72

stiles72

Moving the strap button to the neck heel is the best way to help reduce neck dive. On Gibsons, the button is at the neck heel already - but I move both the end button and the neck button to "off center" positions which makes the bass rest almost vertically. I've done this with all of my Gibsons and my Epi and it works great for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not the best picture - but I can let go of the neck and it stays pretty much as you see it. Note how the strap is actually connected closer to the lower horn.

[​IMG]
  13. mfbolton

Thanks for the tips. I moved the buttons today and it is much better!
  14. mfbolton

A quick review/demo video of the Thunderbird.
  15. SolomonHelsing

SolomonHelsing

16. mournblade

mournblade

Played the Epi Pro IV today at GC, pretty nice bass for $449.
  17. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

A bit of topic but pro 4 is a great bass
    Love mine in black.
    I think they are discontinued now by the classic pro 4.
    Somebody posted that they had made theirs passive and had sound clips.
    I tried out a classic one
    The only difference apart from being made somewhere else was the bridge and being passive with the thunderbird pups.
    I can get the same sound with the pro4 but you can get more sounds with the active.