1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD: Ernie Ball Music Man Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hernameisrio, Feb 9, 2013.

1. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Hey guys!
    So I got my Sterling a few days ago and pulled it out yesterday to play. LOVE the feel of the neck and the tone is so punchy and fierce! It feels a lot more playable than my Cirrus, if that makes sense...? I have the single humbucker model with the 3-way switch and it's a dream for slapping and popping. Also, it's very comfortable both to carry and to play.

The cosmetic wear was not as bad in person as the way it was described in the ad. The biggest chip in the finish is on the back of the bass...you don't see it when you look at it head on. There's a little chip in the fretboard on the first fret just outside of where the G string hits, but it does not affect playability. There are a few dings in the body but I only see them when I'm looking for them. This was literally a pawn shop bass which I managed to snag on Ebay with its OHSC for $720 shipped. I was a little apprehensive to buy it because of its minor issues, but it looks like I got a winner!

Photos coming soon!
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Supporting Member

My Sterling 4H doesn't get much play because I'm five strings all the time now, but it's still my favorite bass. I'm considering stringing it BEAD so it gets more love. A Sterling 5 might be on the horizon, too.

Sterlings are some of the best all-around basses out there. Congrats!
  3. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

4. Gord_oh

Gord_oh

no pics no bass
  5. hampulator

hampulator

I bought a 2004 gold colored model on The Bay last year,I way over payed... $1,000 including shipping! But I wanted it. Long story short ,it sounded and played great. Loved that clear Punchy sound + all the tonal options with the phase/selector switch. But,I ended up selling it and moving toward Warwick basses. My only problem was the neck was a little to small for my monster hands,I like fatter necks like on the Stingrays (witch I also sold). I'm finding the Warwick Corvette double buck to be somewhat similar in sound(s),but better for me. Anyways...congrats on a nice bass for a solid price!
  6. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Well now! Awesome congrats are in order!
  8. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Congratulations!!!

I bought a Sterling new in '94, and though I've modified it to suit me better it is still one of my top 3 favorites to play.

Funny thing about the neck. Many years later I was fortunate enough to get a '62 Jazz bass. When I first picked it up I couldn't believe it - the neck felt exactly like my Sterling!! I immediately recognized where MM got that profile. That's why it melts into your hand.

Great bass - enjoy it.
  9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Supporting Member

Looks just like mine did when it was new in 2000! I swapped out the black PG for MOTO.
  10. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

Great basses!