NBD: ESP LTD B206sm

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TigerInATrance, Nov 29, 2012.

1. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

After a fairly exhaustive search for a sixer, I saved a bunch of cash by finding this LTD on closeout for less than dealer cost. It felt as good or better than any of the other basses I tried from MTD Kingston, Spector Legend, and a bunch of different Ibanezes. Everything I played needed new pickups and preamp at the very least so this thing was a no brainer. I've ordered EMG DCs and a BRQ Pre and I may just go ahead and swap out the bridge and pickups for Hipshot cause why not...

Anyhow.... feels amazing and it looks like pure sex. And here are the pictures to prove that it happened.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. bri450r

bri450r

Very nice! I have a B-415sm and it is sweet.
  3. Mikio

Mikio

Congrats! I've always been curious about 6 strings LTD
  4. Sni77

Sni77

[​IMG]

I like the spalted maple top. I'm always glad to hear that good stuff can be had for less money. Are you going to change the pickups and the hardware yourself?
  5. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

Yes. I think I've done it on every electric instrument I've ever owned. EMGs are fantastic because now there's only a few things to solder.

To be honest though, the electronics in the bass aren't terrible. I find them far more palatable than the Korean Barts in Ibanezes. But, I do know that the bass will be a monster tone machine with high quality stuff. I've also decided to replace the bridge with the black and gold brass Hipshot A that Carvin sells and some matching ultralite tuners.

In the end, I will still have spent FAR less than my second choice, a Spector Legend 6 that I would still have had to replace the preamp at the very least and it still wouldn't have been as perfect feeling to me as this bass.
  6. logans59

logans59

Beautiful! I'm saving up for the 5 string version. What made you choose those electronics? (I've been wondering if a replacement would be necessary)
  7. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

I don't know if I'd say it's absolutely neccesary to change the pickups, but I think that the preamp needs to go. I chose those because that's what I'm used to. I've had that combo in just about every bass. I did consider a different Pre, but thought better of it as I know all the sweet spots of the BQC.
  8. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

I've got one and I LOVE IT. It really is an AMAZING bass. The neck is awesome, string spacing just right, and the tone is to die for. I played 4 string basses exclusively for 35 years and my bandmates kept nagging me to try a 6 string. I tried a few (Ibanez, Modulus, Peavey, Schecter) but when I played the ESP B206SM at a friends practice room, I fell immediately in love, stopped playing 4 string basses after three and a half decades and now play this bass full time. Mine is setup perfectly (VERY low action), the playability is awesome. I can't believe more people don't play this bass - it's so great that I'm going to buy the ESP B-1006SM and keep the B-206SM as my practice/backup bass. Zero complaints - it looks awesome, plays phenomenally and sounds incredible. It's really that good. I'd put it up against basses costing twice as much - easily. Oh - and did I mention that they can be had for as little as $350 used? That's STUPID GOOD.
  9. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

That is stupid good. I wasn't going to say, but I got this one brand new with hang tags plastic film and warranted for $229. The local independent music shop I stop in from time to time special ordered this one for a customer who backed out and had it too long with no interest. This was a smoking good deal.
  10. groovecraver

groovecraver

Great choice ! You can mod these basses without an ounce of guilt. I have custom spaced Nordstrand Big Singles in mine - with an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp and Sadowsky knobs. I will be changing my tuners to black to match my next Mod which will be a Hipshot A bridge. Some people are concerned about the string spacing on these basses. It has never felt that tight to me and I have large hands but the Hipshot A will allow you to widen your spacing so I custom ordered my pickups From Best Bass Gear in a 17mm size. This bass has a bridge spacing of 16mm. Great bass! Great neck ! and a fantastic B string !! The original pickups share the EMG 45 shape measurement. Carey Nordstrand, being the talented individual that he is, can custom space his line of pickups to fit this bass. That's what I did and I now have a sixer that can rival many at a fraction of the cost.
    View attachment 320486
  11. groovecraver

groovecraver

12. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Nice!! I have a B205SM fretless that I'd like to drop EMG pups and pre into.
  13. rtav

Now that's SWEET! :hyper:

These really are awesome basses... I'm thinking of getting one and having it defretted to have an awesome 6 string fretless at a great price.
  14. phillybass101

phillybass101 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    NIce guys. I've been wanting one of those 5 strings fretless basses.
  15. groovecraver

groovecraver

Rtav,

Man ! If you do the fretless thing - please share the progress on that. I would love to see and hear that !
  16. rtav

Will do - it'll be awhile (I just got an ESP LTD B-336SR prototype - a lot like the B-206SM with a red-stained ash body, EMG's a slightly longer scale and unknown preamp).
  17. groovecraver

groovecraver

That bass sounds mysteriously funky ! Enjoy.
  18. etechstan

etechstan

A couple years ago I went into the Cleveland Sam Ash looking to replace a Warwick RockBass Streamer Standard (hated it) and saw a B206 hanging on the wall. I thought it looked really nice but the name LTD makes me think of a rusted out old Ford. I ended up walking past it over and over again. Then I looked at the price and saw it was marked down $100 because of a damaged tone pot and damaged knob. I bought it, replace the knobs with Zebra wood and straightened the shaft on the tone pot. Its my No 1.
    [​IMG]
  19. groovecraver

groovecraver

That's a nice match on the knobs. Definitely an upscale look.
  20. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

what is the string spacing on these? do you guys have the natural satin finish or some other finish?