1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NBD - Fender AM DLX Jazz Bass V (wow!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by meatwad, Mar 30, 2014.

1. meatwad

meatwad

It actually arrived three nights ago, but I gave myself a day or two before making the final decision to keep it.

Let me say this first - The tone of thing is incredible. In passive mode, it sounds just like any good Jazz Bass should. But so far, I prefer active mode because while it still sounds like a Jazz, it sounds like one that's been going to the gym for a while. Also, based from what I can reference through my practice setup, the B-string (both rounds and flats) really comes alive through the active circuit.

I have read many times of other folks talking about lousy setups on brand new instruments, and this bass was a perfect example of just that. BUT, after a little tweaking of the truss two nights ago, things got much, much better (I always set one to Fender's spec initially, just for starters). At this point, she pretty much became a keeper.

Last night I put on a set of Chromes (.045-.132), rechecked the trussrod, dropped each saddle screw 1/4 turn, and fellas, that was when the honeymoon officially began. :D

Today, we have spent the biggest part of the morning stretching, intonating, and settling in. It's really nice having another Jazz around, and this model couldn't be more perfect for what I want. I have always loved the CBS-era Jazz Bass aesthetically, but prefer modern FMIC improvements.

Well, thanks for reading my cool story, bro! :) And now, without any further ado -

My New Fender American Deluxe Jazz V

[​IMG]

2. zachreh

zachreh

very nice I bet it sings, how does it do in a band situation

3. meatwad

meatwad

Thanks Zach! Haven't got to take it to a gig yet, but from the way it mixes through phones and speakers, I predict it and my SVT will get along great. :hyper:

4. Dragan

Dragan

beauty! I was always been tempted to string my Jazz V with Daddario Chromes or some other flats!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. meatwad

meatwad

Thanks Dragan! People debate strings all the time, but Chromes simply work for me on every bass I've tried. The day I ordered this bass, I ordered the Chromes with it.. ;-)

7. Guinness20

Guinness20

Congrats on the nice bass man - I'd always thought the natural finish ash body with maple neck & fretboard was the prettiest until I'd seen this. The sunburst is great - personally I much prefer sunburst finishes with a bit more colour to them, and there's some nice yellows and reds in that.

As great looking and feeling as these are, I just couldn't get on with them. Not the passive sound I expected, and the active sound was good. But in the end I got a stingray 4hh - I thought that as I didn't like the passive tone of the jazz, i might as well have considered it as an active bass for the way I'd use it, and the stingray did that better.

8. meatwad

meatwad

Thanks Guinness20! I also prefer sunbursts to have a thinner black edge, with more red and yellow. And if I could only have one bass, it would be my StingRay (see profile).

9. Bassy105

Bassy105 Supporting Member

Congrats on your new bass. I have one just like it and use it as my main giging bass. I put Sadowsky flats on mine and love the thump I get out of it. Has a wide range of tones, and I find the passive setting to also be useful. I was concerned about how heavy these might be, but mine came in just a hair over 9 pounds, which for my back is great.

10. meatwad

meatwad

Thanks Bassy105! I'm loving mine more and more. It's like a throwback to the Fenders I used to play the most (CBS Jazzes and Ps), but IMO, improved upon in every way. And while mine weighs more than my P, it's still light enough to wear all night, I believe. I'm guessing 9lbs, as well.

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    That's really nice, congrats!

12. generation zero

generation zero

Nice bass, congrats and enjoy! I also just got one, I went with the black one with the maple neck. Love everything about it so far. Great partner for my PRS! :)

13. malthumb

malthumb Supporting Member

That one is absolutely beautiful. Even if it doesn't have a tort guard ;)....yet ;)

Played its twin as well as an ash / black blocks cousin the other day at GC. Oddly enough, they could not have sounded LESS similar, considering they were the same brand and model.

I think that the price that GC had for these was very reasonable, but, I am not in the market for another bass, or I would have spent more time with them.

In any event, congrats! Sounds like you are really enjoying it.

Peace,

James

14. meatwad

meatwad

Thanks, guys! After I narrowed it down to which Jazz I was going with, I realized I had only then approached the difficult decision.. "which color?!"

They are all so beautiful in their own way, and it was a toss between SB/RW and black/maple (super Geddy lol), but SB won this time.

15. faulknersj

faulknersj Gold Supporting Member

This generation of Fender Am Deluxe J Basses are some of the best J Basses Fender has ever produced IMO.

16. Lync

Lync

Is it relatively silent? I had one (white) and it was a gorgeous bass...nice B string and sounded great (plus the neck was comfy). But...it buzzed...like poor grounding. People have tried adding shielding etc to correct it, but for that expensive of a bass, I didn't want to have to "attempt" to fix the issue. So I returned it.

I hope though yours is not like that and I just had a bad one.

17. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

They look so nice but my test drive was dead tone & buzz like crazy

If you have a winner DONT sell it!

18. The Nameless

The Nameless

I've had the "Super Geddy" version since 2010. Best bass I ever owned. A friend just bought the Sunburst. His tone a bit different. But still great. Makes me want a second. Just fer the tonal difference. I can attest to the toughness an reliability of these basses. And the refinements made by Fender have done nothin but improve an already very fine instrument. Great score man. Congrats. An I'll tell ya... They get better with age. Play it a lot!

19. meatwad

meatwad

I am amazed at all I've read about these being so noisy! So far, mine is as silent as any of my other basses, but tomorrow night should really tell the tale (band rehearsal through my full rig, in a small room, with fluorescent lighting)... Still, even if mine checks out to be dead silent, I'm still slightly taken back by the many complaints I've seen all over the web about this hum issue. I'll be sure to post about how it sounds tomorrow night, as soon as I get back from the jam. :hyper:

faulknersj, I agree 100%. This gen of all things Fender seems to be consistently as good as anything they've ever made.

20. meatwad

meatwad

The Nameless - How would you say the tone differs between the two?

BTW, I love how satin necks break in, becoming glossy and slick in all the right places.

21. The Nameless

The Nameless

There are a few very subtle differences between mine an my friends. First, Fender re designed the pickups. Looks wise, mine have bigger, un bevelled pole pieces. His has smaller poles. The sound IS different. The newer ones seem to have slightly less output, but a more articulate tone. Especially in the highs, where his is sweeter. Mine is all power, however. Louder, thicker, but less high end detail. A subtle difference, but fairly significant. When testing these basses, I had three. The third was like mine but newer, and had the newer pickups wit smaller pole pieces. His also had less output overall, but did have the sweeter top end. And it wasn't just the finger boards. All strung wit same strings, open strings different sounding. Other differences were less obvious. Redesigned tuners, less finish on the back of the neck, different nut material, but everythin else pretty identical. I've played and set up 10 or 12 of these basses. They all sounded slightly different, had their own voice. As all basses do. But, they were ALL great. None had extreme noise issues, all have been thru various levels of play, aggressive, subtle. They were all great basses. None of the differences were anythin more than subtle, except the output. Mine really is the strongest I've tried. I am not the only one who noticed it. Mine is over a pound heavier than the heaviest I've tried, so maybe that has somethin to do with it. Killer basses, tho. And as subtle as the differences are, i still hear em, an want a second...