1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

NBD: Fender American Deluxe Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gregsuarez, Apr 10, 2014.

1. gregsuarez

gregsuarez

Apr 7, 2014
    I finally have my "new" Fender AD P Bass in my hot little hands. Thanks to so many of you who helped me come to the conclusion that a P/J combo fits my needs so well. You were right! This model was not even on my original list of potential purchases, but is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

I have been noodling around with it for a while. The P pickup booms and the J pickup snarls. Perfect. And the neck plays like a dream. When you kick it into active mode, the thing just explodes to life and becomes otherworldly.

It was a used bass from an out-of-state Guitar Center that I had shipped. It's a $1699 bass that I got for $999, and it looks practically brand new. It was in such amazing condition that the original pickguard plastic and pickguard stickers were still on it. All it needed was a good polishing to get the fingerprints off of its sexy black finish. Even the hardshell case looks brand new. I also had the GC store manager throw in a free set of new strings, stainless steel flatwound.

It is a 2012 model with a Deluxe P bass pickup (whatever "Deluxe" means) and a Fender N3 Jazz pickup, active/passive switch, blend pot, 3-band active EQ (18V), and a tone pot for passive mode (which I will likely never use).

Thanks again for all your help in finding my "soul mate bass." Enjoy the pics. I also included a "family" portrait that includes my Music Man JP6 John Petrucci Signature Model in Cardinal Red Sparkle, and my Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Plus in Ice Blue Metallic. :hyper:

Attached Files:

• far.jpg
      far.jpg
      File size:
      204.7 KB
      Views:
    • front.jpg
      front.jpg
      File size:
      207.9 KB
      Views:
  2. gregsuarez

gregsuarez

Apr 7, 2014
    More pics...

Attached Files:

3. Sponsored by:

4. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog

Feb 25, 2007
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Congrats, it looks awesome. You got a good deal too. Well done.

5. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Congrats .. killer looking bass! ... I have a older black/maple american deluxe Pbass & it is awesome.

6. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

May 5, 2008
    Orange County, California
    Disclosures:
    Firemelon
    The black on maple is a great look! Congrats on a great bass!

7. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

Mar 8, 2009
    Beautiful. I have the Jazz version and really like it, even though I'm more of a P-Bass guy.

8. gregsuarez

gregsuarez

Apr 7, 2014
    I like the block inlays on the American Deluxe Jazz Basses. However, I prefer the squarer body of the P Bass, and the versatility of the P/J pickup combo. Blending the two together is amazing.

9. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

Mar 8, 2009
    Yeah. You're giving me GAS for the P version.

10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    This is a fine bass - I ran across one of these at a local store about 2 years ago and very nearly took it home (and I'm quite a gear snob!) - this bass is a big upgrade from the stock P in every way. You will dig it.

11. senp5f

senp5f

Jan 27, 2008
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Congrats! I can't believe you picked up that bass for that price. What a steal!

12. gregsuarez

gregsuarez

Apr 7, 2014
    Trust me, I did a TON of research and thinking and mulling and considering before I pulled the trigger. The American Deluxe upgrades are too hard to pass up. I have owned 2 American Deluxe Stratocasters (Fender has been my brand of choice for 23 years), and I currently own one of the new American Deluxe Strat Plus models with the interchangeable profile cards. I know how amazing that extra bit of magic is that's included in the "Deluxe" versions of Fender's guitars. Originally, when I first started shopping for a bass, I never even thought about considering a used bass. When I started shopping for used basses, the options really opened up in my budget.

At the very least, I avoided a Gibson bullet. I was pretty close to buying a Gibson EB bass. They seem like a pretty good deal. For $1089 it has an ash body, dual humbuckers (both coil tapped), and a nice beefy bridge (plus it comes with a hardshell case). I have read a lot of conflicting reports about out-of-box quality - and not just the easy stuff a set up would cure, but stuff like finishing blemishes and shoddy fretwork.

I'm so over Gibson guitars.

13. gregsuarez

gregsuarez

Apr 7, 2014
    I can't believe it, either. The GC guy I talked to at the store I bought it from said it was a new acquisition and he already had a guy who wanted him to get it ready for him to buy. I processed my order immediately and beat him to it.

What really surprises me is I saw an American Deluxe Jazz Bass that looked just as immaculate and of the same vintage, and it was $1199. Maybe the Jazz Basses are more popular.

14. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    You know, I wasn't wild (at all) about the Deluxe J - what you paying for just doesn't seem to offer nearly as much value as it does on the P.

Oh - and buying used is always smart. ALWAYS.

15. gregsuarez

gregsuarez

Apr 7, 2014
    The fit and finish of American Deluxe models are always a notch above even the American Standards. But, yeah, with the P Bass you get the Jazz pickup and awesome pre-amp.

I have bought used guitars before, but I typically prefer new. I did find a very sweet 1991 Charvel Spectrum in bright pink... it has a very '80s vibe. It was in remarkably great condition considering it was 20 years old when I got it (it probably spent its entire existence in the case under someone's bed). But I ended up almost never touching it and sold it.

16. Nice bass, congrats. I'm really getting to like the black on black config! Good luck with it.

17. Guygrooves

Guygrooves

Jan 3, 2012
    Albany NY
    Yes sir-Congrats to you on finding that one-great deal. I found the new P-Deluxes to be my bass of choice after many many... Enjoy the versatility. Love the black and maple, so hot!!

18. gregsuarez

gregsuarez

Apr 7, 2014
    Thanks! I've always loved Roger Waters' Black/Black/Maple P-Bass, and this one definitely has that vibe.

19. gregsuarez

gregsuarez

Apr 7, 2014
    Thank you everyone for the well-wishes! I am definitely enjoying it. It really is a night and day difference over my Indonesian Ibanez BTB bass, which has a neck pickup that stopped working a couple of weeks ago, out of the blue.

20. Nice...Im going to say that the "Deluxe" is prob the added J pup and Preamp. As you know Standards are passive. Now go play it!

Edit: Taken from Fender: Instruments with plenty of traditional look and feel, but tricked out with powerful pickup variations and other specialized features.

So Im right :)

21. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island